VHS decks with firewire

V

vervor

I'm hoping for a little purchasing advice here...

I need to buy a VHS deck with firewire connectivity so I can put some older VHS material into my computer and edit a reel together - I figure I'll need it eventually for something in the future anyway so this is just pushing me over the edge to go out and get it. There are some factors in this decision. For one, should I grab a VHS/miniDV deck so I don't wear down my GL2 as a miniDV deck? These seem to go in the 1000-1200 range while a plain VHS with firewire deck seems around 300-500... I know about B&H and I guess I could go to a lot of manufacturers websites, but are there some other websites you all can suggest to look through some products? B&H has only a couple options, and being a poor just-out-of-college dude I need to comparison shop.

Thanks in advance.

-Aaron

I had no idea there were plain old VHS decks with FireWire...I know there are DVHS decks with FireWire...

In my opinion, I'd find a reasonably good VHS deck and look for a converter box. Canopus and several others make analog to DV (and back) converter boxes that are also handy for viewing your editing on an external video monitor.

For the wear and tear on your camera...oddly enough the cheapest deck you'll find is a cheap camera. A small, single chip DV camcorder will respond to FW control like any other deck, and they can be had for under 500 dollars.

The VHS/DV decks have not been working well for anyone I've encountered who has one.

VHS Firewire

VHS Firewire

You need to convert your VHS analog to digial and luckily your GL2 is set up to do that. Use the red/white/yellow to mini A/V cable that came with your GL2 to connect your VHS player to your camera. You then dub the VHS to miniDV in the camera. Then you just playback the miniDV version and capture it as usual. The better the VHS deck the better your playback is going to be and therefore the better your miniDV dub is going to look. I have used this approach many times in documentaries and it works fine if you don't mind the VHS look--which you can't get around (VHS resolution is much less than DV). Best of luck. JT

And don't worry about "wearing out" your Camera... just be sure to take good care of it and you should be fine... it's a hardy camera.

Thanks for the advice - I'm having a hard time believing dubing VHS to DV and THEN into the computer wouldn't have worstening effects on already bad VHS resolution, but if you say it has worked okay for you... I think that is a good solution - - now....to find an old camera on ebay.

thanks again guys - anyone else have an opinion?

Network Sponsors

Back