S-VHS-C to dv-macbook pro

mike

:) G'day from downunder!!have a problem that needs solving, trying to capture some old s-vhs-c tapes to my macbook pro with not alot of luck. old camera is a jvc with S video out a new canon with dv+usb in. what do I need as the missing link??Have also tried to copy the tapes to dvd using vhs to dvd coping machine, but now cannot convert the video ts and vob files to anything fcp or dvd studio pro can recognise... brief vision no sound??!! using ffmpegx. dieing to get this done as i've got a project to complete with the footage. looking for a cheap but successful resolution.
mike

Does your DV camera have an analogue input? I used to have an analogue capture card in my PC, but now I just record analogue tapes to DV on my camera and then capture by Firewire.

Thanks for that mark, unfortuneatley my canon mvx4i only has 4pin fire wire or usb input. problem I know. apple laptops have firewire 400/800+usb do have a ibm intellistation z pro, should i get a cheap capture card? Then i'd have to convert it to digital. I was hoping there was a bridging device to go from s-video out on the jvc camera to ???? then to the dv camera and onto the laptop and into final cut 2..... Whats the missing link?

Check your camera again; it may not have RCA connectors directly on the camera but it should have an analog input/output on it. (I checked the specs online for the camera and they say its got one.) Look around under the various connector covers and you should find a little 1/8" connector that's probably colored yellow. It may also be an odd connector with the letters AV next to it. (From the images I've seen it looks like the AV port is located under the same cover as the DCIN port on the front of the camera.) Whether it is an 1/8" connector or a different one you should have received a cable with the camera that will connect to the port and provide you with RCA connectors on the other end. You may have to set your camera up to read the AV signal as incoming rather than outgoing; if so it should be somewhere in the camera's menu...
Almost all consumer DV cameras have AV input/output on them, otherwise too many people wouldn't be able to watch the video on their TVs. How many people have a DV VTR laying around their house?

Hope this helped...

ok, this is now becoming frustrating... can only capture video doing the dv reversal method- sound just isnt coming thru when i capture tusing final cut 2. Would a breakout box be any better?? anybody have a cheap one lying around the studio floor in a box they dont use/want??

i'm having a similar problem... i'm currently editing a documentary and have recieved a bunch of footage on vhs tapes and on dvd. Is there anyway i can convert the video ts files from the dvd to play on my mac. also what's the best/most cost efficient way to upload those vhs tapes into final cut?

Network Sponsors

Back