Timeline window -How do I get it back on my workspace?

jbsandown

Forty years ago I used to edit 8mm cine film. Now I'm trying to capture my old "blockbusters" for posterity onto digital media. I'm in the early part of the Premiere Pro learning curve and my "old-timer" logic seems to have hit the buffers with this much-acclaimed program. Whilst experimenting, I've just "closed" the Timeline window -and sure enough it's flown away! Trouble is I want to reveal it again on my workspace but can't find any way of getting it to display.

How do I get the timeline back on my screen?
Also can anyone recommend a "deflicker" tool/routine to remove some annoying projector flicker from my avi files?
Many thanks and best wishes to the forum
jb

To get the timeline back, look in your Project window, and double-click on the sequence you were using. In Premiere (like in Final Cut Pro), a sequence can also be called the timeline. Double-clicking the sequence will open the timeline it references.

As far as the deflicker thing goes, that depends on how you got the footage onto video. Give me some more details about the method you used to get the film to video and I'll help you out. Remember, 8mm film tends to run at either 18fps or 20fps.... video runs at ~30fps. Big difference there, so it can be complicated.

Thanks for help. It transpires that in my experimental enthusiasm I had deleted "Sequence01" in the project box. Double clicking on it, as you suggest, certainly switched it back again It would appear that unless you have this item in the project window by default, the time line has gone forever!

On the "Deflicker" subject I camcorded my screen whilst the projecter ran at 18fps. The camera shutter was set to 1/50sec. The flicker is just noticable, on bright spots (sky etc) on the recording. Would it help if I re-recorded the film footage with the projecter running at 24fps and then, using some function in PremPro, "squeezed" the time-scale back down to the 18fps equivalent?
If appropriate I will move this aspect of my correspondence to a new topic.
Many thanks jb

jbsandown said:
Thanks for help. It transpires that in my experimental enthusiasm I had deleted "Sequence01" in the project box. Double clicking on it, as you suggest, certainly switched it back again It would appear that unless you have this item in the project window by default, the time line has gone forever!

On the "Deflicker" subject I camcorded my screen whilst the projecter ran at 18fps. The camera shutter was set to 1/50sec. The flicker is just noticable, on bright spots (sky etc) on the recording. Would it help if I re-recorded the film footage with the projecter running at 24fps and then, using some function in PremPro, "squeezed" the time-scale back down to the 18fps equivalent?
If appropriate I will move this aspect of my correspondence to a new topic.
Many thanks jb

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do by camcording unless you had a video camera that could match the fps (i.e., 18fps), which pretty much doesn't exist. You kind of have to just deal. One alternative is to get the film telecined, which does it frame by frame. This can be very, VERY expensive.

There is one other way, which is much less expensive than telecine, but not worth it if you're not going to do this often. There is a product called the WorkPrinter (just google it, it's the first link) that will work nicely to transfer super8 or 8mm film to video using your computer.

Unfortunatley, changing the frame rate in your timeline isn't going to do anything for you because the flicker is coming from what's recorded on the tape, not what's in your edit system.

If you do a google search for "filmshooting" follow the first link and you'll get a good website that deals with 8mm filmmaking.

It might also be good for StudentFilmmakers to have an Super8/8mm film forum here!

-Chris

8mm amateur Film to DV transfer process

8mm amateur Film to DV transfer process

Thanks Chris, that's a really helpful contribution which I shall work on over the next few days. What I was hoping was that, since the flicker is most noticeable on bright components of each frame, there would be some software fix that could compare adjacent brightness in contiguous frames in a pre-selected area -and then tweak the brightness to give a "smoothed-out value" for the sequence.
Thanks again -will keep you informed. jb

Network Sponsors

Back