Thinking of trying an experiment...

ralck

Hello all,

So I'm working on a script right now which is probably best to be described as a mockumentary. I'm currently working on a re-write of the script because I'm not satisfied with it.
What I feel is the biggest trouble right now is that there isn't enough "action" mixed in with the dialogue-heavy interview scenes. I'm trying to re-write the script to add in more things happening inbetween the dialogue scenes to increase the action and pick up the pace of the script a bit.
Right now I've got most of the action in the last third or so of the short. I wrote it in the typical documentary style which is very chronilogical. All the interview scenes are supposed to have been done before the "big finish." However, this means that the majority of the first two thirds or so mostly interview dialogue.

My thought was that to spice up the entire story, I'd move sections of the "big finish" between the interview scenes. This way, the interview scenes would sort of feel like flashbacks almost.
What I'm worried about, is that I'm creating a non-linear timeline in a documentary style film. This is obviously not the norm and I'm not sure how well it's going to work. I was thinking that if I should the "big finish" scenes in different lighting styles, had different camera movements that helped define which "time" we are in, and possibly in a different shutter speed (what I mean by this is slow the shutter speed to cause bluring... I'd have to test this to see how well it actually would work though).

I'm just looking for any opinions/advice about this. Does anyone know of any non-linear documentary or mockumentaries? I've read about an Austrailian film called The Magician from 2005 that fits this, but I haven't been able to find it to buy/rent in the US.

Sorry for not giving a very clear understanding of my film... I like to keep my ideas rather secret until I'm finished editing.

at college we had to study documentary and we were shown 1 about 9/11 im not too sure on what it was called

but all the way throughout the documentary it basically criticised and made bush look like a fool and an idiot it wasnt as though it was serious just seemed to take the mick over him you know

i think it was called something like ferinheight 9/11 maybes you know of it

"Farenheit 9/11" was a big hit, by Michael Moore.

Check out his "Roger and Me" for something a bit funnier.

And "Bowling for Columbine." (Not funnier, SCARIER if you're an American.

Network Sponsors

Back