Thinking about shot lists and how important they are

Kim Welch

Staff member
I was reading shot lists in an advertising article today that had examples of shot lists from some major advertisers and how the accomplished the Ethos, Pathos and Logos of their persuasive ad campaigns. It made me realize how important it is to have a shot list. And, I guess because of my relationships with ASC members I always think about shots lists as being the cinematographers domain but really I think it's the director that makes the shot list and hopefully in collaboration with the cinematographer.

Shot lists are very helpful because they bring more clarity into what you are shooting, regardless if it's a video, a photo or something else. Yesterday, I was reading insights on how to create a shot list using smartphone apps, because whenever you go, these days, you carry your smartphone with you. :)
Which ad campaign have you read about? I am curious to see their result, if it's available somewhere online.

I never go to a shooting without a shot list but sometimes, improvisation kicks in and you end up filming great shots that you never thought you will in that day.

Network Sponsors

Back