Slow Previews with mp4

For some reason the preview for mp4's lags terribly, much more than avi's or other filetypes. It gets worse when effects and transitions are applied, to the point where you can't even tell what is going on in the preview.

The movie will render fine, its just the real-time preview that is having problems. I've tried reducing the preview quality to see if that helps, but it doesent.

Does anyone know of a way to make the mp4's playback in the preview window better? Or of a format that I can convert them to that will have better performance (and that Vegas likes)? Thanks.

NEVER use MPEG-4 (or any Long-GOP format) for "editing". Opens up a can of headaches, as you've found. Not sure what the original was, HD or SD?

OK, lesson learned.

However, the original format is MP4, my Phone's HD camera records directly to mp4 format.

So what would you suggest converting the files into, to make it compatible with Vegas?

Vegas supports nearly everything...what are you system specs?

You may need to use MPEG Streamclip to convert to something easy to playback...DVCPHD is a pretty low-load codec.

Editing long GOP material isn't that big a deal anymore, but like anything else, it takes the horsepower it takes to do it.

Some apps handle it better than others, but in all cases, it takes computer CPU torque to handle it...

Network Sponsors

Back