Panasonic DVX100 VS Canon XL2... Who will win!?!?!?!

Panasonic DVX100 VS Canon XL2... Who will win!?!?!?!

• Panasonic DVX100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canon XL2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DBXMe2

Everyone who makes their own films in DV all have a preference in Camera. So for us students, which is best, and why?!?

This thread is going to compare and contrast features between the DVX100 and Canon XL2 to find the overall best camera. So let’s begin!

Panasonic DVX100

agdvx100b.jpg

Specs:
- 1/3" 3-CCD Mini-DV camcorder with exclusive CineSwitchTM technology. Records 410,000 pixels.
- Rugged magnesium alloy diecast chassis
- Outstanding sensitivity of F11 @ 2000 lux
- Supports 480i/60 (NTSC), Cinema-style 480p/24fps, and 480p/30fps image capture. Features 2 types of pull downs for true 24p, regular 2:3 pulldown and 2:3:3:2 pulldown.
- Precision wide-angle Leica Dicomar lens with Servo/Manual Zoom (with stops & barrel markings)
- Well balanced and highly portable: 4.4 pounds in full operating condition

U.S. List Price $3,995.00

So a quick overview. This Camera features 16:9 aspect ratio as well as 4:3. The body is made of magnesium allow, thus heavy duty and long lasting. It has a 1/3 of an inch 3CCD with CineSwitch...

panasonic.com said:
CineSwitch Technology

Panasonic's exclusive CineSwitch Technology allows you to "switch" among different image capture modes and/or frame rates -- so you can achieve different creative looks. CineSwitch provides 60i, 30P, and 24P capabilities in our DV Cinema and DVCPRO Cinema Cameras, and variable frame rate capability (4-60P) for overcranking and undercranking in our HD Cinema Cameras. Get the rich, cinematic look you want with Panasonic Cinema Series Cameras with CineSwitch Technology.

Canon XL2

xl2-1.jpg

Specs:
- Size 1/3", approx. 680,000 pixels (total), Progressive Scan CCD x3 (charge-coupled device) with horizontal pixel shift
- TTL autofocus. Manual focusing possible (20x zoom XL 5.4-108mm L IS installed)
- 60i, 1/60 shutter speed = 5.5 lux; 30P, 1/30 shutter speed = 6.5 lux; 24P 2:3:3:2, 1/48 shutter speed = 10 lux
- 16:9 target area: approx. 460,000 pixels (962 x 480) x3 CCD, 0.289" diagonal
4:3 target area: approx. 350,000 pixels (720 x 480) x3 CCD, 0.236" diagonal

U.S. List Price $4,999.99

OK now that both are up on the board, from personal experience, I will write a few comments.

The Canon is cool, no doubt about it, and yes, you can interchange lenses, but personally I prefer the image from the Panasonic. Yes there are fewer pixels per line with the Panasonic, but the colors are more real, then over extenuated with the Canon. Canon are usually know for vibrant colors, but its part of the CCD, with Panasonic, there are nicer blacks, and less pixel noise in low light situations. If the Canon had a CMOS instead of a CCD, it might be better, like their Still cameras, but I have yet to see a CMOS in any Camcorder.

Besides that, the Panasonic is the camera which resembles more to film, and I would know, I have worked with Film and DV, and with these two cameras...

BUT ultimately it’s a personal choice!

GL choosing a camera, and happy DV making!

Mike

sure, I dont mind... I'll edit this and send you a PM of the finished article. You might want to check it for spelling etc, but it will be sound to a certain extent.

PM you soon.

Network Sponsors

Back