Panasonic AG DVX100 or Sony Pd170?

G

gceria

I´m a studente cinematogrpher from Argentina and i have doubts between these two cameras. I´ve read millions of papers that compare them but no one has taked about their experience with each one. I would like to know if someone has used them both and what is their opinion. The fact is that i´m going to buy one, and i don´t know which one suits me the best. I will use it for low budget documentaries and films. If there is anyone with the experience please reply.
Gonzalo

I've also done a fair amount of research on the AG-DVX100. It was really the first camera I've ever had a crush on. I currently use an XL1 and GL2, and love them dearly. A friend of mine uses Sony's VX model, similar to Sony's PD model.

Since you're looking for something that offers versatility, and both cameras are versatile in their own way, you're going to have to weigh the differences in versatility to the specific demands of your productions.

With regards to aesthetic versatility, the AG-DVX100a often beats out any other camera within this price range, because of its' multiple frame rates, and cinegamma controls. You can achieve many different looks with the AG-DVX100a's 24P, 30P, and 60i. The DVX has great optics, but is somewhat restricted with zoom, especially if you get the older DVX100, because it did not have follow focus when 24P was activated, but that's been changed with the latest model.

The DVX, and every other camera in this class are bested by the PD170's ability to capture great video in low light. And another main advantage with Sony is its' optional lens accessories (additional wide angle lens comes with the PD170). The PD170 also has another unique advantage in its' ability to record video to high quality DVCAM tape. The downside to Sony's Prosumer models is their inability capture 24P or 30P. Instead, they shoot in 15P, so most people who've shot with Sony's are employing the PAL model to curve this frame rate challenge with increased vertical resolution.

In terms of sound, Sony's PD170 has a much more sophisticated mic, ensuring more control over the sound quality. But, you may not even use the standard mic that's equipped with it, but you can if you're shooting docs. If doing a movie, it's best to use different external mics, so it doesn't really matter from that perspective, but the standard mic on the PD model is better than the DVX.

Also, with regard to sound, I've read that the Sony prosumer models have a tendency to pick up tape mechanism hum, which isn't good, but I've also heard that the defect was fixed, and the hum nolonger exists, but you may still want to keep an ear out for that. And Panasonic, has had a tendency to have subtle optical defects, like purple or black fringing around the corners of the lens etc.

Even though I haven’t used these cameras, I hope this was still helpful...

Also, with regard to sound, I've read that the Sony prosumer models have a tendency to pick up tape mechanism hum,

Generally speaking, only with an external mike mounted close to the camera. Otherwise I think they're like my TRV900, which has a filter on the internal mike to block out a narrow band around the head hum frequency which cuts out when an external mike is used.

thanks

thanks

Thank you for the explanation. Although i need a little more specific information, yours was helpful. Does the panasonic have DV format and what´s the difference with the mini DV. Thank you again
Gonzalo
From Argentina

Hey Gonzalo,

The AG-DVX100a records digital video to minidv tape, but it cannot record to DVCAM tape as the PD-170 does.

Network Sponsors

Back