how to set up a boom mic for three cameras?

K

katsurth

I just bought a Audio-Technica AT 2020 Condensor microphone, and I have three Canon GL2 digital 3CCD camcorders. Because for a single shoot, I'm setting up the cameras in three different places, the sound varies on each miniDV tape. I'd like them all to have the same sound level, if possible. Will a boom mic do this? If so, how? What do I need to buy? I do have a boom stand.

Any help and/or advice is much appreciated!

Kat

Double post - sorry

Basically you'll want to record the sound either onto one of the cameras or onto a DAT, minidisk or similar recorder. Then you'd use a slate to sync the sound to the cameras which aren't receiving it live from the mike.

Another option would be to run cables to all three cameras from the same mike, but that might cause a noticeable drop in sound quality.

Without a lot more info about the shoot/shot (indoors/outdoors, talking heads/action, etc.) it's very hard to give advice.

First, the 2020, although a nice mic, is not meant for sound for picture. So get/rent a shotgun mic or a couple of lavs.

Second, why is the different sound from the three cameras a problem? Why can't you use the sound from just one of the cameras? That's what audio post production is all about!

advice

advice

Thank you for all your input!

I was doing the syncing of sound with one of the cameras, but I was hoping that there would be an easier way. 8)

more info

more info

Okay, I'll still researching this. :D I shoot 99% indoors, in salons, barbershops, etc. I'd like a mic to pick up the sound of scissors cutting hair and the voice of the stylist. (For some reason, they speak so softly).

Even though I have a shotgun mic for my GL2s, the sound isn't all that great. I wouldn't mind handing a good mic from the ceiling. Any suggestions for a good mic? Will the one that I noted earlier work?

Try a lav on the barber (track one) and and boom a cardioid condensor mic like the Sennheiser MKH-50 instead of a shotgun (track two). You can even mount the condensor on the cam if you have to. You can then slice and dice, mix and match in audio post as needed. Between the lav and the condensor mic you should capture a fair amount of wild FX.

Watch the barber; they tend to tip their head to one side or the other. If he tips his head to the right more often, for example, put the lav on his left lapel.

thank you

thank you

Thank you so much for the information, Uncle Bob! I'll look into buying those items. :D

Network Sponsors

Back