Correct shutter speed shooting undermixed light for Video

Aryanadi

Hi, I have some questions of a shutter speed to achieve a correct exposure when shooting under HMI, Kino, tungsten and mixed light. I'll probably be working with SOny DSR 390, Sony D35 or D50.
Any advice, tips and tricks will be much appreciated. Thank you thank you :)

Ary

There is no one perfect shutter speed or f stop, it's all situational. Get a light meter and it will tell you what f stop to choose. If you really can't stop down your lens for those lights then you have some options. You can put an ND filter on which reduces the amount of light entering the lens. Or you could change your shutter speed to reduce the amount of light. Doing this will make your video strobe or look sharp. Only change your shutter if you need to otherwise use your aperture for correct exposure. Changing the shutter from 1/48 on film and 1/60 on video looks unnatural. What do you want your picture to look like? Give some more details.

Generally you use the f-stop and ND filters, if necessary, to control exposure, not the shutter except in extreme cases. You adjust the shutter for motion effects or to sync with the hertz cycle of certain pulsing sources.

Most people shoot 24P in the range of 1/48 to 1/60 to match the look of 24 fps film shot with a 180 degree shutter (1/48th of a second.) 1/60 when you need to sync with some flicker 60 Hz light sources that don't seem to like 1/48th. Sometimes you go to 1/32nd to gain a half-stop more exposure, or even turn the shutter off at 24P, which is 1/24th. You can one-stop more exposure at 1/24 instead of 1/48 but you also double the amount of motion blur, which looks smeary.

Other times you may shorten the shutter time to 1/100 or 1/200, etc. for a crisper motion, either for the "Gladiator" action look, or because you plan on slowing down the footage in post and need less blur per frame or field.

Most 60i video is shot with no shutter, i.e. 1/60th of a second.

I'm talking about 60 Hz country shooting. In 50 Hz countries, 25P and 50i are more common, and 1/50th for the shutter speed.

Thanks for the quick reply. I live in PAL system country. I've been working on it to figure out how to get what I want. There'll be a TV set, smoke coming from a cigar and a sweating girl lying on the couch. I'm hoping the sweat would look as nice as possible without distracting the smoke coming from the cigar, while I will have to take care the way the TV set manner in relation with frame rate. Because I'm going to work with couple kinos, a HMI for the key and background, red hat, a practical and maybe inkie I'm thinking to employ 1/120 or 1/150 shutter.

Please correct me if you have any much better advise. Thanks in advance so much, guys....:)

Network Sponsors

Back