Convert a studio plug to household plug on a 2k light?

Jimmy Moss

I just bought a light from this website (pyramid films):

http://usedmovielighting.com/mole_richardson_2k_fresnel_.htm

and it says on the website it will work on "Can plug into any house hold circuit."

Much to my dismay the plug looks like a studio plug.

DSC_0038.jpg

Is there an adapter I can buy to make this work with a household plug? Or can I just remove this one and add a normal plug from lowes or home depot? This is a 2k light so I assume it would have to be pretty high tolerance. Any advice?

You can either purchase an adapter to convert from the stage-pin to standard plug type or you can rewire to a 20amp standard plug. The thing to be careful of is making sure that you only use the plug in a 20amp circuit and that NOTHING else is running on that circuit. (In general for newer construction you'll find 20amp circuits in the kitchen/dining area as well as dedicated 20s for such things as microwave, refrigerator, etc.) You may also find other 20s, but before you EVER assume that a circuit is a 20amp circuit check your breaker box.
If the light really is a 2000 watt light then that's just about all you'll be able to run off of that circuit. You'll start tripping breakers pretty quick if your try to push much more than 2000 watts off that circuit.

Hope this helps.

Network Sponsors

Back