compression and exporting

S

Suitcase

is there any kind of highquality compression to go to an apple dvd for a full feature lenght? (open source, im looking in your direction) if not, what would be the highest quality compression and maximum length the movie could be at this highest setting in FCP-HD?

First...
if you're using "i-dvd" then you're never going to find a way to put a feature film on there.

Second...
if you're using Studio Pro, then there's a meter on the top bar that shows you how much space is left...

Third...
if you do have "i-dvd", you should probably know that the best quality you can get is only 350 by 240... vhs resolution.

If you could clarify your question a bit more, perhaps we can help.

Dude, I already showed you this stuff in class :!: 8)
When you're exporting out from FCP, use Quicktime Compressor, not Quicktime Conversion. This is the same mistake that everyone in our DV class made. When we used quicktime coversion, we were losing over half the quality. So, in order to retain quality, export to quicktime compressor, select the highest quality for MPEG2 ALL, for video and audio. It will then export your video and audio files seperately. The thing is, when you're using i-DVD, you can't do anything with those files. You have to have DVD Studio Pro or an application specifically designed for high quality DVD authoring, that will allow you to place those files into its own timeline (almost identical to an NLE timeline) where you can still make modifcations to those files for authoring your DVD at in highest possible quality.
Kim, this all explains why the DVD you have of my work look like absolute crap, I used conversion instead of compressor.

Network Sponsors

Back