Video Compression

Denisse

I just finished editing a music video I shot for my uncle who lives in Jamaica and I want to upload it to you tube or one of those video hosting sites so he can view it, the only problem is my file size is extemely large. 935 MB and You tube and most sites only accept up to 100 MB. I recently got FCP studio 2, which has compressor but I don't know how to use it as yet. Can anyone help me with how I may compress the file to a reasonable size or if you know of a site that takes large file sizes.

Thanks a lot!

Denisse

I think google video takes larger files, but you have to upload them differently (they'll tell you how). Also, the H.264 codec does a pretty good job at compressing without huge quality loss. Sites like Youtube compress the quality so much anyway, that you really don't have to worry about what you sue, as long as you get it small enough.

What were the specs you used when you got the 935Mb file? Let's see if we can tweak them to make the file smaller. Remember, when you upload to Youtube, the file gets compressed AGAIN and converted to a Flash Video file. So, having a huge source file isn't going to get you far.

I'd also add into this discussion a strong suggestion to spend about $23 and get the ATPS book, "Compressor Quick-Reference Guide", which addresses these issues.

Hi Denisse,

I posted a question about cutting video to a music track, and noticed you said you just finished doing a music video. If you have any tips on how best to do that, cutting video clips to a music track, would very much appreciate it.

I shot video for a school outing, and need to create something to show the teachers and students, so a 3 to 5 minute "music video" would be great, but the way I am doing it now seems very haphazard.

Thanks!

Multiclip edit.

Or, if you don't have sufficient footage to do a full out Multiclip edit, and all the shots are timed together, stack all the video on tracks above each other, then shrink them all and move them around the Canvas window so you can see them all at once. For example, of you have four clips stacked, make them all 25% and move them to corners. then go and cut out what you don't want. When done, set the first clip back to 100% size, highlight it, copy, then select all, Paste Attributes, Basic Motion, and poof, they're all back to full size.

If the shots are not all timed together, then it doesn't matter, just do a regular edit like you would any other project. Lay your music track down, open clips into the Viewer window, set in and out points, overwrite edit, and work on down the Timeline to the music, cutting to the music beats and events.

Denisse, great video! Looks awesome! Just wish I could "hear" the music! For some strange reason I can't figure out, a couple of weeks ago, Flash videos and some .mpg's stopped playing their sound on my Mac. Both in Firefox, Safari, and even when I just download the files. Files I already have that used to have sound, now don't, also. Very strange, wish I could figure this out. But, the video looks very, very well editing, even without sound. Is there a way I could download a QT version of this video?

Network Sponsors

Back