File Compression

rawkus void

I edited my film on Final Cut Pro. I want to burn the movie as a quicktime movie on a cd. Currently the file is about 2.5gb. How can I reduce the file size so that it can fit on a cd?

Secondly, If I shot on hd can I import the file to quicktime at a lower resolution?

Thanks

Yes to both questions.

You can compress the video to any size it's just that the quality will suffer. How poor the quality will be is difficult to predetermine but it depends on the length and the size (SD or HD) of the video. It also depends on the frame rate. More frames per second will translate to lower quality.

Use H.264. Go into QuickTime Pro Player, size the video's window to as small of a size as you can live with. Export "Movie to Quicktime", and as an H.264.

In the Video settings, set the keyframe/rate stuff all set to "Automatic", turn on frame reordering, select multi-pass processing. In the Video Size settings, use Current. For regular computer playback, leave at full screen size. For web viewing, I shrink to a width of 450. The Compressor Quality slider should be full rez for full size viewing on a computer screen, and Medium or just below if going to the web.

For sound use ACC, 24.000, 48 bit rate, VBR, stereo, it'll sound great.

You'll then have great full size or web size files for playback at good quality. If going out to the web, make sure "Internet Streaming" is set to "Fast Start".

Network Sponsors

Back