File Format Error

I

ImageBrew

Need some help guys-

I have Final Cut Pro Version 5.0.4 and its been running great on my G5. I recently worked on a project in another studio and saved my Project File to a CD so I could bring the project home and batch capture all the material and get back into my edit. The Project File copied just fine onto my home system, although everytime I try to load it, my Final Cut quickly gives me a message reading "File's format is too new for this version of the application".

Is there a bug with my file after copying it and I'm out of luck, or can my 'version' be outdated? I looked at various updates etc but am not sure which one I need. You would think Apple would allow various versions to be readable or else more people would run into this.

Help? Ideas?

File Format

File Format

Your problem could be that the other studio was using FCP 5.1, a "newer" file format. JimT

Thanks for the reply.

I know their version was 'newer' but the only update I can find on the Apple site is the 5.1.2 update. I downloaded this, but I get a message that it can only update a 5.1 application. I cannot find the 5.1 update anywhere, can you not skip updates?

Thanks

Updates

Updates

As far as I know, new versions of FCP are not downward compatible. I use FCP 5.1 and know that when I open a file from an earlier version it warns me that I will not be able to open the file again in the previous version. You can certainly skip the update but if you do you will have to be careful not to use 5.1 in other suites and then expect to work on them with your system. As far as find 5.1, I do not think it is an update but rather a new revised version. I purchased my 5.1 Studio on a special offered to 4.5 users for something like $99. However, it was a total new install, not an update. And beware, I had to update my system to OS 10.4 (again a new version not an update) and it got stuck in the middle of the install and I lost a lot of data. If you have to install 10.4, be sure to back up everything before you try it. Good luck. JimT

5.1.2 is more of a major update than most folks think. There's a huge jump between 5.1 and 5.1.2. Once updated in 5.1.2, you can't go back to 5.1. I'd take your 5.1 machine at home, get it online, run the Software Update, and get it up to 5.1.2. There's a bunch of new things to make it worth while. And 5.1 to 5.1.2 is free.

Network Sponsors

Back