XL2 Mic for documentary

edbrooke

Hi i'm planning on an getting an XL2 primarily for one-man documentary-making, but I keep hearing not to trust the mic that comes with it, could anyone kindly recommend a good mic? Would I need a zoom mic, tie clip mic, radio mic etc? Would be grateful if someone could advise on what I would need for documentary purposes
Thanks

Mics for XL2

Mics for XL2

When doing doc or movie work there are two mics you should have in your arsenal.

One is a boom mic. These are the long cigar shaped mics. They allow you to keep the microphone out of frame and yet hear much more of your talent. The Senheiser ME60 is a good workhorse and has it's own battery power. The 416 is also excellent but you need to give it phantome power which can drain your camera.

Another mic is either a wired lav or a wireless lav. With the proper funding I recommend the latter. Many makes an models to choose from.

With these mics you can wire one channel of your XL2 with the Boom and the other with the lav. Keeping each channel independent of the other should yield some excellent results when it comes time to mix.

If your going to do one man I would suggest getting a better shot gun mic to mount on your camera it wont come out as well as a 2 person crew but you should acheive suitable audio.

Network Sponsors

Back