upgrading xl2's microphone

omarsdayoff

is it worth investing $500 on a SENNHEISER mkh416 p48 shotgun mic to replace my stock xl2 mic. is there a lot of difference between the 2? and if i do decide to go in that direction, would i still need to purchase lavalier mics on the side or can i use the shotgun at all times.

There is A LOT more to great sound than getting a good, or even great, mic.

Yes, the sound quality will be markedly better using the MKH-416. However, if it is not used properly you might even think that it sounds worse than the stock mic on your XL2.

Shotgun mics, because of their terrific off-axis ejection, can be difficult to use. Think of a shotgun mic like a long lens; a very small deviation means that you will not see the visual that you want to capture. If a shotgun mic is not precisely aimed you will not record the sound that you want.

Shotgun mics are not always your best solution for indoor use. I won't go into the acoustics/physics of it, but what makes a shotgun mic great for outdoors use can actually make interiors sound more "roomy" than they actually are. Your best choice for indoors is a cardioid condensor mic or lavs.

You may want to check out my blog on production sound.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=111888913&blogID=265521269

Feel free to contact me with questions.

Network Sponsors

Back