What do you need to study to be a filmmaker?

Maura N.

The Last Black Unicorn
What should I study to become a filmmaker? is a question you could ask yourself if you have a love for the profession but are unsure of where to begin. An easy answer would be: go to Film School! However, that is not the only way to learn and develop filmmaking skills.

You need to study a variety of topics, such as writing, directing, cinematography, production, and editing. You should also learn about the business side of filmmaking, such as contracts and budgets.

If you want to develop your skills further, you can take classes in film theory, acting, and post-production. Additionally, it's important to stay up-to-date on industry standards and trends. Finally, it's essential to have a passion for storytelling and the drive to create something meaningful.

After you have mastered the basics, you can choose which area you wish to pursue a career in. Good luck!

Do not limit your education just to film tech! Think about what you will be doing after you graduate... and what skills you should have in addition to film/video technology. Accounting is very important, if you are going to run your own company. Psychology, sociology, anthropology, criminology -- all teach you character insights to make you a better writer. History and literature (story telling) are important. Music appreciation will help you score. IT will help you keep that computer working in the dead of night.

Not to forget cooking skills will help you cook for your actors when you are in a tight budget.
actually that's exactly what i do besides writing, directing, producing, acting, lighting, operating the camera and building the set and props. here is a short general tutorial https://rumble.com/v28hrm6-making-film-props-fake-rocks-and-miniature-film-sets.html
most of my short films are a one man operation. there are several tutorials on my channel if you want to know more.

Attachments

• dreamgate.jpg
    dreamgate.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 82

Network Sponsors

Back