Videography and Cinematography

Kim Welch

Staff member
What are the differences between videography and cinematography? What are the things in common? In Wikipedia the def is "Videography" refers to the process of capturing moving images on electronic media (e.g., videotape, hard disk, or solid state storage, streaming media). The term includes methods of electronic production and post production. It is the equivalent of cinematography, but with images recorded on electronic media instead of film stock." But, are we not at over 50% of the feature motion pictures shot on digital? So are we in the age of the Videographer and not the Cinematographer? Are they they same? If so is the Word videography a marketing invention? What is going on here?

Technically speaking that is probably correct. I tend to think of Cinematography and Videography more a difference of process, whether or not that's correct or not. The fact of the matter, is that people who film weddings and events tend to call themselves "videographers", and those who tend to shoot feature films call themselves "cinematographers". With the prefix "cine" obviously implying the cinema aspect. I think film culture in America has created a distinction apart from any technical definition.

Capability and modular options.

Videography is the art of shooting video. Cinematography is the art of shooting film. Every now and then you still hear an old schooler refer to a video shoot as filming something. It can get them into budget trouble. I mean, if a client asked me to film something my first question would be 16 or 35? If I didn't ask that, you could imagine...

I tend to think of Videography as a subset of Cinematography, a specific form of cinematography using video equipment. But I also think the term is becoming archaic rather than think the term cinematography is -- "video" has associations with analog interlaced scan video, rightly or wrongly, and "videography" has associations with non-narrative stuff shot on video.

Cinematography literally means "the photography of moving images or cinema" and doesn't specifically refer to photochemical film technology anywhere in its definition. So it does not reference a specific technology the way that the term "videography" does.

After completing the course in cinematography, a student will have acquired the ability and confidence to assist, any cinematographer / Videographer; both in film and television. Starting off independently will also be an option, depending on the right opportunity at the right time. I would like to share one of my favorite institute where you can learn the best cinematography "Zee Institute of Media Arts". Best of luck to all for their future in cinematography.

Network Sponsors

Back