What is the difference between cinematography and videography?

Hello to you too, miss Maria! I have tried to answer your question as best as I can.
Cinematography is typically shot with specific equipment such as a Steadicam or a dolly, while videography is typically shot with handheld cameras.

Hello, everyone!

I’m new to cinematography and videography and am eager to learn more. I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the difference between the two. What is the difference between cinematography and videography?

Thanks in advance!
These days, the difference is not much. Cinematography is shooting moving images, on film. Videography is shooting moving images, in digital recording. In the old days, the contrast ratios, image resolution, frame rates, scan rates (video) all contributed to different variables that the cameraman needed to account for. Due to the electronic limitations of video, artistic material was usually shot on film (even if to be transferred to video later on for broadcast), and "live" events and multi-cam linear shows (think soap operas) were done in video. However, as video evolved into progressive (non-scan) extremely high resolution digital, with near unlimited contrast/lighting options -- those differences are virtually impossible to discern by the audience. Sometimes, the expression "cinematography" is used to denote a higher level of production technique, while "videography" may be used to describe a lower level of technique.

Network Sponsors

Back