VHS to DV conversion

• Thread starter alignment productions
  • Start date
A

alignment productions

I'm looking to capture from old VHS format tapes and convert to DV. I just got a loan and I am in the process of setting up shop. Here's my setup: MAC G5 2.7Ghz w/Final Cut studio. I'm ordering the Sony DSR-11 DV Deck and was considering also the JVC SR-VS30U S-VHS Mini DV combo Deck. That is of course until I stumbled across this site and read a post from a student trying to convert old tapes as well. Your response was that you haven't heard good things about those combo decks. My question is should I just pick up a decent VHS deck for about $300? and do I need a DV converter box to link up to the DSR-11? or should I bypass that all together and go directly to the MAC from the converter to capture? sorry if this is unclear?...Let me reiderate: options--

----1. VHS deck -to- converter -to- DV deck -to- MAC?
----2. VHS deck -to- converter -to- MAC?
----3. VHS deck -to- DV deck -to- MAC?
----4. VHS deck -to- MAC?
----5. go back to waiting tables?

Thanks

Re: VHS to DV conversion

alignment productions said:
----3. VHS deck -to- DV deck -to- MAC?
That is the only method i'm familar with, I never really noticed a difference in quality, but then again, we weren't really too concerned about it at the time. I'm not really sure if the other procedures would ensure a higher level of quality or not.
alignment productions said:
----5. go back to waiting tables?
Haha, well some people might say that because you're investing in a tape based workflow you probably might have to go back to waiting tables :wink:
I say that only because we're experiencing such a huge format free for all right now -- with P2, firestore direct to disk, blu ray, and even holographic now, tape for acquisition and especially storage is definitely nearing the end.

thanks digigenic...

thanks digigenic...

...capturing from VHS is not my primary form of media, but I know I will be forced to deal with it, be it VHS to DVD transfers, personal compilations etc. As far as workflow- I'm working with my cousin's Canon DV camera, and I learned logging and capturing onto the DSR-11 @ NYFA. I guess thats my bias or knowledge, (or lack there of). Anyhow, thanks for the heads up...Zack Gietek (Alignment Productions).

well I might have some insight, then again I might not :)

well I might have some insight, then again I might not :)

I was doing a doc on a WW2 pilot, and I needed some footage from the aircraft he flew, and the only copyright free I found was on vhs, SO this is what I did to acheive a great looking conversion. I took my SVHS Deck, I got from a TV station that closed, and hooked than into my camera using the RCA, Video and Audio connectors. Then on the Camera Settings I made the camera an video IN mode. Now since is is a video in mode, I simply did a Log and capture. being the FCP5 reads the camera as a VTR. so Probelms solved. And like my subject says. maybe you find this helpful, and maybe you wont :)

thanks
Patrick

If you're going to capture through the Sony deck, which is the way I work, just make sure that the DVEE setting on the deck is set to 'off' or it won't act as a throughput from your VHS.

ez

Network Sponsors

Back