Sound Help

Ekmatt

Hello!

I am fairly new and looking for some advice on sound. I have a Sony HDR-CX110 and I'm not looking to do any big, flashy filming just some small videos during college.

I have some questions about sound. I pick up a lot of stuff I don't want in my videos so I was wondering if there was something I could get to record seperately or a software to monitor the sound after I up load it?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Hello!

I am fairly new and looking for some advice on sound. I have a Sony HDR-CX110 and I'm not looking to do any big, flashy filming just some small videos during college.

I have some questions about sound. I pick up a lot of stuff I don't want in my videos so I was wondering if there was something I could get to record seperately or a software to monitor the sound after I up load it?

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Not sure what you are thinking about doing but i would seriously consider upgrading that camera for a better image before you concern yourself with upgrading the sound.

What's your budget? And are you going to have any help - like someone to swing a boom?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I'm more just looking for ways to improve sound quality overall. I have heard from people space recorders work or boom mics. I don't want to break bank on mics and I have a decent number of help.

I'm more asking out of curiosity. I don't plan on entering any contests anytime soon or anything.

Space recorder? Never heard of it. Do you mean a flash audio recorder like the Tascam DR-100 or the Zoom H series?

And lets get the terminology correct; there is no such thing as a "boom mic" or a mic made specifically for boom-poles, almost any mic can be mounted on the end of a boom-pole. As a rule of thumb - at least for indie folks - a shotgun mic is used outdoors and a hypercardioid mic would be used indoors.

You didn't answer two of my questions, whether you have help and your budget; "don't want to break the bank" is rather vague. For me $1,000 would be a very reasonable price for a mic, and a popular shotgun mic with professional production sound folks (the Schoeps CMIT5U) is about $2,200.

You may be interested in the Rode VideoMic.

You may also want to check out my blog regarding production sound.

http://www.myspace.com/alcoveaudio/blog

Last edited by a moderator:

Network Sponsors

Back