"Saving Private Ryan" technique

justinidaho

Is there a way to add the "Saving Private Ryan" action look in Final Cut? The one used in the opening sequence and countless other movie/TV action scenes.

If not in post production, how are they doing that during shooting?

Any help greatly appreciated...

I believe they are just shooting it with a faster shutter speed to get the action to look really detailed the way it does. To cheat you could turn up the sharpness with a filter in FCP but I dunno how effective it will be as opposed to shooting it like that originally

"Saving Private Ryan" technique

Its not just shutter speed. The effect is more so the product of the 45 degree shutter angle that was used. gladiator is another example of film with action scenes shot with a 45 degree shutter angle. Also saving private ryan has a distinct hand-held + bleech bypass look which also contributes to overall look of the film.
The only thing you can do inside FCP that i can think of would be to use a nattress or strobe/blink filter. If I recal correctly there is a way to simulate different shutterspeeds with nattress film effects.
Best bet is to shoot with the fastest shutter speed possible

I got a nice effect (not exactly the same but close) by taking video shot at norm 30fps and changing to about 8fps in post.

I was just about to jump in and say it's more than shutter angle, although that contributes. It's "frame count". FCP's blink will help with this, as will third party blink filters mentioned already. But, you also want to play with frame rate in your Sequence, also. If you're good with, or know someone good with Shake, you could tweak this effect all day long.

As for the bleach bypass, that can be emulated in after effects. Look for tutorials online.

Bleach By-Pass can also be done inside FCP and/or Motion, as well. Check out the Encyclopedia of Color Correction from PeachPit Press. It's part of the APTS library.

Network Sponsors

Back