"Saving Private Ryan" technique

justinidaho

Is there a way to add the "Saving Private Ryan" action look in Final Cut? The one used in the opening sequence and countless other movie/TV action scenes.

If not in post production, how are they doing that during shooting?

Any help greatly appreciated...

What look are you asking about? I think they used a fast shutter speed on the early scenes to make the motion a bit stuttery, but you won't really be able to add that in post, you'd have to do it while shooting.

Edit: yeah, I'm just watching the beach scene again on DVD, and I'm guessing the fast shutter is what you're talking about.

Thanks-

The closest I've got to it in post is using the (FCP) strobe filter, just wondering if there were any other ways to do it in post people had tried...

Most of the effects you would want to do to get this are done in camera before it even gets to post. Then you would get a REALLLLLY good telecini done to your film and then in post you would be able to apply color effects with an after efects program. Not with the editing software its self.

Yes the absolute best way to do this is in camera with a fast shutter speed. Set it to 1/500 or 1/1000 if you have enough light.

Yes there is in post but it wont look perfect. I'm sorry I dont remember... there is a plugin you can get for AfterEffects.

They also did some bleach-bypass stuff in the movie. I know you can download filters to simulate that, jsut look for them on google.

If you're shooting on DV, you'll need to find a way to reduce the framerate a bit. 24p would really come in handy here if you have it, as the reduced time resolution is what gives those scenes their look. I'm not sure if DV cameras have variable shutters that can reduce motion blur, as that really is the key to perfecting that look. I'm not sure if they did a bleach bypass, but that can be simulated with contrast curves. And lastly, desaturation of course.

I'm not sure if DV cameras have variable shutters that can reduce motion blur

Yes. Though the cheap ones may not give you manual control over shutter speed.

Network Sponsors

Back