Part of my screenplay, please read and let me know.

smooth_37

I started to write a screenplay a while back. But I started dinking and using drugs and strayed away from it. I am clean now and hopefully going to get back on track. I still don't entirly know what the synopsis of the screenplay is but basically guy is obsessed with a girl that broke up with him and he can't get over her. This is a scene I wrote that takes place in a car. Please let me know what you think, some of my friends ant a teacher liked it but those are biased opinions. Sorry for such little coverage.

( Shane and Ed are in Shane’s parked car in what appears to be a park )

Ed
Have you ever looked at the moon?

Shane
What do you mean? Of course I look at the moon, it’s the only source of light in the dead of night. How can you miss it?

Ed
No I don’t mean visually. I mean have you ever really looked at the moon?

Shane
Well if not visually, how else could one look at the moon?

Ed
In depth. See some people look to the moon as a god, while others look at it as some sort of sign of coming danger to mankind. But not I. when I look at the moon I see through the crusty surface, and see the innards of the colossal being that is the moon. It was put there for a purpose, to shine light on those who at night can’t find there way and don’t have any recollection of what there life means. Its so much more than just a ball of light. It has meaning, and if that meaning is that it’s a god or inevitability of death I don’t know. But I do know that it was put there not to be gazed upon, but to offer help, and make a difference in every person’s life, even if they don’t know it. That’s what I see when I look at the moon.

Shane
Are you a prophet?

Ed
No. Just a smoker, but they are both kind of the same thing. But if they are in a bar they aren’t a smoker/prophet. They are probably just drunk.

Shane
You are aware that we live on top of a bar.

Ed
Yes, but I’m not drinking now so that therefore deflates your argument.

Shane
It just amazes me that somebody that drinks as often as you can have such a bright perspective of his surroundings.

Ed
What do you think I muse about whilst being engaged in an epic battle with a hangover? I sit there and watch TV. and think about how this world is not what it should be. I think about how the almighty being that created us wanted the human race to be like. I think about the world how it should be thought.

Shane
And what makes you thoughts right?

Ed
The fact that I’m atheist. I’m not really tied down to the thought of a god creating us. But I know that something did and is in charge. I have a more open view of the world than most, and so theoretically my view is not clouded by religion and what the leader of said religion wants and says what should be done. That’s when things such as the Trade Center happen. People fight about religions all of the time and it will send out human into race into entropy and mass extinction, until all that was glorious about mankind lies buried in the primordial stew, into we will most certainly return if these crusades of what religion is right continues.

Shane
Well not all wars are led by religion. Politics are involved.

Ed
In some instances yes, but for the majority it does not lay in the latter of the two.

Shane
Jesus.

Ed
Another thing, why do you say “Jesus”?.

Shane
What do you mean?

Ed
Well I mean if your going to use a religious icons name in vain why does everyone speak of Christ, or just god? Is not Buddha, Allah, or Abraham up to par to be bashed?

Shane
Man try and say those three when your in the middle of a sentence. They role off your tongue like rain on flat surfaces.

Ed
Buddha….Allah…..Abraham. Fuck your right.

Shane
I knew I would come away with at least one win in an argument with you tonight.

Ed
Man you wait, the time is going to come when I use the phrases “Holy fucking Abraham Shane!” or “Son of a Buddha these are some mighty damn fine cheese fries.”

Shane
Good lord.

Ed
Good Allah.

Shane
Speaking of Jesus, I have a question.

Ed
Speak.

Shane
Do you think Jesus was black?

Ed
Why you ask?

Shane
Well I have never really bought why they crucified him.

Ed
Because he broke the law.

Shane
True, but being black would also be a good reason to crucify him.

Ed
So you are saying all black people should be hung on a giant piece of wood? I’m pretty sure there is a word for that.

Shane
No, but they were racist then just like they are now so maybe that added fuel to the fire.

Ed
Lynching, that’s the word.

Shane
Did you listen to what I said?

Ed
No sorry I stopped listening.

Shane
I said, no I don’t believe blacks should be crucified, but the fact that he was black could have been another reason to.

Ed
Dude Jesus could be whatever color he wanted to. He would just be chilling at a wedding at Cana, Caucasian as shit. And then someone looks again and he is green. He would just be like “That’s right motherfuckers I’m green.” And everyone there would be like “What the fuck, damn Jew was white and now he looks like the gay flag”. That shit messes with your mind man. If you saw someone turn green you would crucify him to.

Shane
No I wouldn’t.

Ed
O yeah, only if he was black sorry.

Shane
I’m not racist.

Ed
Yeah I bet you are, you know I am 1/20th black and being in the car with you right now is kinda making me uneasy.

Shane
Would you let it go.

Ed
O now your getting hostel. Are you going to whip me now? Do you have a miniature cross to burn in my car in your pocket?

(rolls down window)

HELP HELP I’M BEING OPRESSED!!!

Shane
Would you roll up your window and shut up.

Ed
Your words of hate and threat do not frighten me white devil. I don’t have to stand for this. I will gather up my brethren and fight you with love,

Shane
You’re not black!!

Ed
Stop oppressing me, I will go get my niggas and we will bust a cap in your ass and steal your rims.

Shane
I don’t even have a car!

Ed
Then we will steal your woman and rape them!!

Shane
Now who’s being racist?

Ed
Hey I’m black I can say this.

Shane
Your whiter than I am. Bitch you even got a redneck.

Ed
It’s red from the ropes you tie around my neck.

Shane
WILL YOU LET IT GO. YOUR WHITE GET IT THROUGH YOUR FUCKING HEAD. I’M SORRY IF YOU DO NOT COMPREHEND THIS ALL BUT I DON’T THINK I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF MONOSYLLABICALLY ENOUGH FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND IT ALL!!!

Ed
Dude, you just got unleashed.

Shane
I know motherfucker and if you want to talk throughout the night you will shut up about it.

Ed
Why don’t you talk that way to that whore Michelle?

Shane
O would you leave her out of this.

Ed
No, for one time I actually bring her up. We are talking about her.

Shane
Look I don’t want to talk about her.

Ed
You went steady with her one time for about six months, and ever since you have been pining over her and being her bitch.

Shane
I said leave her out of it, we are just friends.

Ed
Bullshit your in love with that whore.

Shane
You call her a whore one my time I will knock your teeth down your fucking throat.

Ed
See, if you went than why would you get riled up when I call her a whore, and a bitch in the privacy of my own car, far from the sensitive ears of her.

Shane
Look asshole I’m not in love I just don’t like you talking about her that way.

Ed
Why? Because you’re in love her.

Shane
I AM NOT.

Ed
You have been in love with some broads in your time but this one has them beat by a long shot. Because not only is she a bitch. She is a filthy STD filtering WHORE! And she is leading you down a path you don’t want to go on.

Shane
SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Ed
Aww am I touching a nerve?

Shane
FUCK YOU.

( Shane gets out of the car and slams the door and storms off. )

Ed
Hmm. I hope he knows that our apartment is 19 miles away and his wallet is in here so he can’t get a taxi. Oh well fuck it. Just thank Buddha I have a car.

He's Agnostic, not Athiest.

But yeah, I liked the dialogue. Nice and real except in a few parts..

On the whole, well written. Would like to read the rest some time.

I guess interesting setting and somewhat interesting characters. The dialogue felt too contrived for me. I just didn't "buy" the dialogue, and it didn't feel like it was going anywhere that I wanted to follow because i felt like I could see you twisting and manipulating it. Try saying it out loud to see how it sounds. I know it may sound silly, but it works. Also, just listen to people speak and your dialogue will get better. This takes tons of practice, and lots of experience, and this is just my opinion.

It's hard to judge this without reading the whole thing, but;

What exactly is the point of the scene? I assume it's to show shane's obsession with Michelle, which doesn't come around until the last lines of the scene. Don't try to say everything you ever wanted to say about a subject in a movie. Ed's diatribe doesn't have a point unless it's about love and obsession. It might be better if Shane wants to talk about Michelle and Ed wants to talk about anything else. If nothing else, I'd remove the Monty Python and the Holy Grail line.

Dan

This scene really dosent have a point. It really is just a convorsation between friends about nothing really. But Shane's obsession with Michelle is seen by how he just jumps to her from a topic that has nothing to do with her and how Ed is sick of everything being directed towerds her. Personal experience to say the least.

Network Sponsors

Back