PAL into FCP4

Randal

I'm a novice with FCP and my first project is to take a tape shot in PAL, edit and convert to DVD. (I'm in the U.S. so I'm used to NTSC.)I have a Sony DCR-HC85 NTSC camcorder that also plays back PAL tapes. The tape plays fine in the camcorder but I cannot see or capture the video in FCP. I have changed the presets to PAL and tried various combinations but nothing works. (NTSC recorded tapes work fine.) FCP controls the camcorder fine and its timecode counter seems to be in synch with the one that I observe on the camcorder tape. (FCP is reading sound levels on tape.)

I'm using an old Viewsonic monitor that is, I'm sure, strickly NTSC, but I don't know if that's even an issue in FCP.

If anyone has suggestions--Thank you.

Sorry I haven't answered you on this yet...
Honestly... I still can't think of an answer for you...
perhaps it is your monitor (though I wouldn't think FCP would take issue with that)
you could always try importing a small clip from the camera... with the PAL settings...

then put that clip in an NTSC timeline & render it out... see if it corrects the problem...
if not, then you know it's some other problem... maybe even with your Firewire card or something else... not sure myself...
if it works, then perhaps it was the monitor, but there's a way around it then...

Anyhow, if you do get around to figuring this out, let us know.

Thanks and good luck.

I don't know about FCP, but in the past some companies have deliberately crippled their NTSC editing software and/or hardware so that it won't edit PAL, to prevent us evil Europeans buying it cheap in America rather than paying European rip-off prices. Are you sure your version can edit PAL?

turns out he actually solved this... he let me know how he did it via e-mail... here's what he said:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I did solve the problem finally by trial and error. I
put all the settings to PAL except fire wire control
which I left on NTSC device. Then I had to start the
camcorder playing BEFORE activating 'log and capture'
window. If I opened log and capture first then I could
control the tape and get correct time code, audio, but
NO Video. Once imported I could edit and export as
NTSC video. (So it wasn't monitor, card, etc.)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So... it appears that his FCP was able to work with PAL, but he had some visual issues getting it in the computer... my bet would be that it has to do with the firewire hardware he has... not 100% sure though.

Network Sponsors

Back