NSTC to PAL conversion quality?

rideforever

Hi there,

I'm new to this board, and I'm looking for a little advice.

We are filming a three-part documentary in Asia over a long period of time and the first two parts have been filmed in PAL format where the cameras used had that standard. In China I changed cameras to a NTSC model bought through ebay that was an absolutely fantastic deal. I knew I was buying a different format, and friends and advisors helped convince me that it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

However now I'm having second thoughts and the film's producers aren't happy. I'm a new camerman/director myself and since we've only just begun the shoot in China, I don't want to continue down what might be a blind alley for a final edit. After looking over other forums and the great NTSC v. PAL debate, it seems that PAL may offer better quality, but since I already now own an NTSC cam, I'm more concerned about the loss of quality in the transfer from NTSC back to PAL in the final edit.

We're shooting on a solid Sony DSR-PD170 NTSC camera with a timeframe of two more weeks approx to solve this. I see the following options available.

1). Sell the NTSC Camera and buy a PAL version (thus minimising future damage)
2). Exchange for a PAL camera in Hong Kong
3). Restrict NTSC to PAL transfer time to the final edit (thus saving costs) and push ahead with what we have.

Of the three, Option (1) may not be possible, if I can't sell the camera at the same rate I bought it, as my budget will be shot. Option 2 is wishful thinking at best. Option 3 seems the most sensible/logical, but will even the best transfer machines/algrothims result in a huge loss of quality?

Eventually, I hope to sell this film to a TV network so quality is very important. The film has not been pre-sold as yet.

I would really appreciate any thoughts or expert opinions at this stage. Option 3 seems sensible, but if the quality is a loser, then I don't want this documentary to be.

Thanks.
Brian
:D

Hi there,

After speaking with several transfer companies, whilst it's obviously a case of cost vs. quality, is the loss of quality worth buying a new camera?
Has anyone been in the position of transfering a final edit in NTSC to PAL? What were the results like?

I'd love an independant opinion. We're shooting on a PD 170 NTSC in DVCAM mode, with RGB settings bumped up to enhance colours. The expense of tranfering a final edit will minimise transfer cost, but I wonder if anyone has any experience to say how much quality is lost, since logically even the best algorithims must lose some.

Network Sponsors

Back