Non-Linear Storytelling

K

kickmagnet

I'm sure a couple of examples popped into your head when you read the title of the thread: Pulp Fiction, Memento, Go, etc... Now, I must admit that I find such stories to be exciting and unique a good movie using a non-linear timeline is sort of like watching parts of a rubix cube turn and rotate into place.

However, writing scripts with a non-linear timeline is rather difficult. Indeed, I have seen too many writers try it without plotting. One of my mentors once said that you need to write out your script linearly before cutting it up. This will definitely strengthen continuity and help you to work out those inevitable kinks, but does it stifle the creativity of it all?

So here's the discussion point: How much of a non-linear narrative must you know linearly before writing an actual script?

I'm eager to hear everyone's opinions!

I'm no professional screenwriter, and all of what is below is pure opinion.

I believe it would be best to write ALL of it linearly before reorganizing it how you'd like. If you splitit up too early then chances are you're going to have some major problems.

A good idea is to put the plot in detail down on paper. Have all the major scenes there, and then decide how you'd like to organize them, and write the script with this in mind.

Example:

Movie

A man goes to Las Vegas.
He accidentally kills a hooker.
He meets a group of people who can help.
They rope him into a crime ring.
He is forced to take part in a diamond heist in Los Angeles.
To retaliate, he rats it out to the police.
The people he did the heist with find out and kill him.

Organize it:
The diamond heist is shown. The police show up extremely early.
Everyone runs.
The diamond heist is being set up.
The man is confronted by the group.
The man goes to Las Vegas.
The man kills a hooker.
The man rats the heist to the police.
The man meets the group.
The group gets organized.
The group finds out he ratted them out.
He dies.

Then, write the script linear, but think about what scenes are going to be where. In a scene where the heist people are back at base after it has gone wrong, they can talk about what went wrong. Perhaps you don't have to show it. (yes, this is my own little version of Reservoir Dogs)

Network Sponsors

Back