non SYNC SOUND with multi tracks

callan

i just shot a short on panasonicHVX202 on p2 with non sync sound using the cantar. We were using 4 radio mics and a boom. So we have sometimes up to 7 audio tracks (the radio mics, the boom and a stereo master mix of all channels)

basically the problem that i am having is that i don’t want to deal with 7 layers of sound while i'm editing. I want to sync the stereo master mix of all channels and then sync the other 6 channels later once i have finished the edit. Then i can export the audio channels and give it to our sound guy to mix in pro tools.

How can i do this. I thought there must be some way of syncing up the other channels later using the time code from the audio.(not sure how exactly) The problem is that if i sync the master track and then merge or nest the clip the audio takes on the time code of the video.

Any ideas

i would be eternally grateful, i have been scouring the web, forums and tutorials for days but have come up dry.

Thanks

Callan

Certainly you can sync it up, but it will be a lot of work unless the audio and video timecodes are the same or your editing software can sync it for you based on timecodes; otherwise you'll need to figure out what audio timecode matches which video timecode at the cuts.

I am a sound designer/audio post engineer, so I am not familiar with video editing softwares, but I am sure that there is a way you can turn off the output of all the audio channels except for the master mix. This will keep all of the audio tracks in sync while you are editing.

Syncing the audio later can be very time consuming, especially when there isn't a comprehensive EDL, and 99.9% of the time there isn't one. For some reason none of the audio clips are properly tagged either. So I end up having to tag every single audio clip, whether it was used in the final cut of the project or not, and then create my own EDL.

And then my clients want to know what is taking so long.

There are softwares that will resync the audio after you complete the editing process, but they are only about 60% effective, and most of the sound bites that do match up are never perfectly in sync. Oh, by the way, resync softwares will not work without a comprehensive EDL.

Network Sponsors

Back