Need advice for my career

axou82

Hi evryone

I'm French i did a movie school in France, work in a tv station as a reporter and editor for couple years and made couple video projects on my own!
the question is i really need some advice because i want to work in the movieindustry as a director, to make movies, but my careers for the moment is not that i expected!!

I would like to go to Los Angeles to try to work on set, and maybe do one more year of film school to be more highly efficient!

i'm not sure what to do!

- Go there and do one more year of film school or any workshop, and after try to find works.

- or go there and try to find work directly

I would appreciate if you can give me advice, i want to go to LA at the beginning of the year 2010.

Thanks

Ax

Career Advice

Career Advice

Hi,

Grinner's advice is good but getting a job right now will be tough, especially if you are new to Hollywood. I recommend a year in film school so that you can develop contacts and get into the production network. "It is who you know" is very true in Hollywood. But if you can get a job in production (any position, it doesn't matter) by all means take it. Good luck. JimT

It's all in who ya know no matter what industry you are in. Initiative starts by getting to know people. Of course that means starting at little to nothing in this industry (my first paying job was $3.35 an hour as a cameraman for the 5,6 and 10 oclcok news). So be it. The alternative is to skip on dreams.
Bitter old men are not bitter about what they did in life. They are mad about what they didn't do. If risk-taking were not so rewarding, there would be no reason to take risks.

if you love the work and don't have the money for film school

if you love the work and don't have the money for film school

film school is expensive. if you don't have the money for film school. and, if you love the work go out and get a job working doing anything you can get on a production but preferably in the department you ultimately want to work in. in fact work for free on a few productions. get some kind of experience and do a great job at whatever it is you do. have an excellent demeanor and be prepared to work hard. Get to know the people you work with on these productions and move on to paid positions. Even if you go to filmschool you will probably be doing the same thing but you will have a head start on what is going on and you may get positions because your professor knows someone but you still may have to work as an intern for a few productions to get a good grasp of what is going on.

you must develop skills and you must practice and work to do this. Even Mozart received training and practiced. no matter how talented or smart you are you have to get your hands and mind working on projects. Do something. Find or create script and get actors to rehearse it with you. Plan the shoot... Use your cheap camera.... use your cheap editing system... post it here so we can see it.... plan, shoot, edit, distribute.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this motivational message.
I am very new to this forum and would like to work as a film maker in Bollywood one day.
I am in IT field but would be switching my field as i always wanted to do this as it was my passion.
Any suggestions are welcome!

Starter

Starter

As a starter do you recommend i read any books on film making? i want to learn all the terminology and aspects involved in this.

film school is expensive. if you don't have the money for film school. and, if you love the work go out and get a job working doing anything you can get on a production but preferably in the department you ultimately want to work in. in fact work for free on a few productions. get some kind of experience and do a great job at whatever it is you do. have an excellent demeanor and be prepared to work hard. Get to know the people you work with on these productions and move on to paid positions. Even if you go to filmschool you will probably be doing the same thing but you will have a head start on what is going on and you may get positions because your professor knows someone but you still may have to work as an intern for a few productions to get a good grasp of what is going on.

you must develop skills and you must practice and work to do this. Even Mozart received training and practiced. no matter how talented or smart you are you have to get your hands and mind working on projects. Do something. Find or create script and get actors to rehearse it with you. Plan the shoot... Use your cheap camera.... use your cheap editing system... post it here so we can see it.... plan, shoot, edit, distribute.

I like the way you try to inspire...there are more people to criticize whether less to inspire..

As a starter do you recommend i read any books on film making? i want to learn all the terminology and aspects involved in this.

Hi khan, I am a starter too...I am not gonna recommend/advise/suggest anything rather i will say what others say.. :p

you need to read coz you need to know the theoretical terms what you will work on...but you need to practice coz practice makes a man perfect.. reading books/materials helps you to know things by mind whether practising in field helps you to know things by heart..

good luck

watch what you say

watch what you say

In the entertainment industry it is about who you know as much or more sometimes than talent and know how. It is important to keep good relationships and not burn bridges or say things that could get around and hurt your career. Be careful about what you say and think of it as though anyone you have anything to say about is standing in the room with you. Careers can be shot down and completely destroyed over a slip of the tongue. Don't do it. Keep your eye on the prize and do what you love and love the people you work, be kind to others, be tolerant, and network. Remember that there will be plenty of time to say things in your memoirs or final book or stories you tell in your legacy years or sitting around the fireplace. For the next 30 years focus on meeting, knowing and being good to all the people in the industry that can help you.

Last edited:
Film school is affordable if your good enough

Film school is affordable if your good enough

I wouldn't say no to film school altogether. Like all levels of education it gives you the chance to spend - 3 years - developing your skills in what you want to do. The UKs most well known film school the NFTS www.nftsfilm-tv.ac.uk gives bursary's to those who are good. Granted it is very hard to get in but its worth it. Many students from NTFS are given industry jobs straight after graduation - being a film school graduate highly regarded.
http://amyclarkefilms.com/

Network Sponsors

Back