my camera can shoot in the dark so i don't have to light when i shoot a scene

Kim Welch

Staff member
With the low light capabilities of cameras you might hear someone say they didn’t need to light it or have to light a shot because the camera could get the picture. I know the oldtimers chuckle about this but I think it is seriously important for a newbie with even a molecule of desire to succeed in motion picture production to start out on the road to movie making thinking about how to use lighting to tell a story. And, I think this "i don't need to light" is in part a miss direction brought on by the marketing of these low light sensor cameras. You need to light every frame of your movie. Just trust me on this.

Last edited:
Even with light, some of the cheaper 'low light cameras' still look pretty crap.

Rule 1) Buy a decent camera
Rule 2) Light your scene

Event shooting is probably the only time you can rely on a camera's ability to shoot in the dark, and that's because you have no other choice. Otherwise, I agree, take the time to properly light your scenes. High budget or low budget camera, lighting can make all the difference between a great shot or one that looks like garbage.

I agree. After taking classes about lighting to create a mood I see how artistically motivated lighting can be. I am sure there is an argument for using the natural light. And, yes buy a decent camera or rent one. :)

Network Sponsors

Back