Movie Idea I'm not sure about, advice?

ChrisHurn

Hi everyone. There are a few filmmaking competitions over here this year, (for high school students), where the length of the movie needs to be around 6-10 minutes. My friend gave me this idea...I like it, but I'm not sure it adds up. Anyway, here's the idea (rough, drafty).

Code:
The movie would be about two people - a lawyer and a homeless man. It would constintly flick between the two people in their lives, but wouldn't show how they relate, until the lawyer gets given a case where a big client wants to  remove an old train site (where the homeless man has been living most of his life) and construct on it. Basically the rest of the movie would be about the lawyer and his case, and how the homeless man reacts to this --the viewer does not find out until the very end, that in fact the lawyer has a mental illness. He works by day, and lives on the street at night. He is the homeless man.

I am told that this illness affects some people, and that there really are people who live richly by day and then resort to poverty at night. Weird.
Anyway, I'm not so sure about the idea. When I first heard it, it sounded great, but the more I think about it, it seems silly. If I was to do this, it would have to be done cleverly, I'd want to add some depth to it. (I appreciate any ideas!)

Also, a question: For a high school film (for the competitions), would it be stupid to have characters like these played by 16 year olds? (or any older characters). Is that considered a really bad thing to do, or is it OK?

Thanks all,

-Chris

I think its a great idea. Its original, but underdeveloped (which is why its just an idea at this point). If not to shoot, just for the experience you should write a script for it. As for the high school students playing the lawyer and homeless man, I think it would not work personally. It would be as if an adult played a child. Stick to what you can make. There are plenty of ideas for high school. I just finished a screenplay for high school students. You just have to think about your audience and what they would enjoy, as well as your beliefs, and budget. Practicalities. I'll be interested in what other people think about this.

The idea has merit. It needs to be written & rewritten, etc... until it works. Use strong classic storytelling 3 act structure. Try it with friends, even the main character, to work out all the technical film making bugs and have some fun. Once you get to that point you can redo it with adults, etc...in other words, do it twice, and make it the best ever.

Good luck

Thanks guys. I will write it out. If anyone has ideas to add, please let me know. :) I've always wanted to write a short story, so I may write it in that form, before writing the screenplay.

Thanks,

-Chris

Well as far as high schoolers playing older roles, ask Derek about teens playing assasins. :D

Before I go any further, I'd definately do some real research on this "illness" and get all the facts. Also I would consider how you would go about portraying the homeless man for almost an entire movie without revealing his face/identity. good luck.

Network Sponsors

Back