Idea For A movie

Kim Welch

Staff member
I think i have a great idea for a movie. I know it is original and it has all the good gut wrenching stuff in it. I know I need to get the script finished that I started but what next?

Everybody has a different process; of course Hollywood has it down to a scientific and statistically based process, whereas indie filmmakers' vary in their approach, although it does tend to be more laid back. Are you embarking on a feature length project or short? Regardless of feature or short, my first suggestion is directed to visual preparation, because that's just my style. I suggest taking a digital camera out to some of your potential locations and/or settings and getting some preliminary story board backdrop shots in place. This really facilitates the cinematographer’s and the art director’s creative process, being sure that there's a variance in colors, light etc. from location to location, in order to accentuate certain moods and what not. This is where you must “be certain of the season” as I like to say, because seasonal patterns and the colors they possess completely control a story, be sure you're working in the right environment. Also, start some form of preliminary casting, so that you'll have a good idea of the actors who fit within your backdrop or vice versa. This way, assuming you do have storyboarding, you'll have an accurate visual template to work from when making a smooth transition from pre-production to production. I would strongly consider you register your script as well, assuming your script reaches a stage of completion before going into production, like any work of art, a script is never finished, but being that so much rides on it, it would be best if you do have something solidified. Also, in making the transition from pre-production to production, make sure to give your actors PLENTY of time to read over their parts and become accustomed to their role, during this time, you should have little gatherings on the weekends, someplace comfortable and friendly with all of the cast invited over to start running through the lines, these can be fun especially when the atmosphere isn't as demanding as it would be on a set. This really allows the actors to become more emotionally attached to the characters, giving them ideas on how to make them more natural, because they're experiencing them in a real environment. Anyhow, I'd go into more detail, but I must get going, feel free to post more, or email me if need be...

Very Good Stuff About Production

Very Good Stuff About Production

Thank you for the post, I am at work now and super busy with the tradeshow stuff for the Show Biz Expo - Entertainment Technology World here in NYC. If you have any suggestions or things you would like to know or see in regards to the show let me know. I will try to get photos of it or information. Let me know. I will post more about my idea and script later. it will be shot here in NYC. Tahnks again . I really like your posts. You knwo your stuff pretty well. I want to see your work, when you get something ready let me know.

Absolutely, I'd love to see what's going on out there, whether it pertains to the Expo or your project, I'm all eyes. I appreciate the compliments; let’s just hope my work lives up to expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:
High Expectations

High Expectations

don't let anyones expectations cause you problems. do what you love and love what you do and forget the expectations of others and even yourself. Get into your work and you will do fine.

One step at a time and don't get distracted. You think you need this or that technology to make a good movie but it all starts with a good story. Without that it doesn't matter what camera of lights you use.

Network Sponsors

Back