Marvel Recreation Universe Part 3 (Behind the Scenes)

Dustin Johnson

Name
Dustin Johnson
Date
8-24-22
Marvel Recreation Universe Part 3 (Behind the Scenes)

A continuation of our Marvel Recreation Universe Behind the Scenes series.

For those who don’t know: Marvel Recreation Universe is a cinematic experience that collages 1 Scene Recreation from every single Marvel movie (Avengers 2012- Spider-Man Far from Home 2019) into one singular powerful story and film.

We started out with with friends filming in a Studio, and ended up working with Professional Cosplayers and actors from all over the world.

Previous Threads:

Marvel Recreation Universe Part 1 (The Film.):
https://www.studentfilmmakersforums.com/threads/marvel-recreation-universe-fan-series.52709

Marvel Recreation Universe Part 2 (Behind the Scenes):
https://www.studentfilmmakersforums...tion-universe-part-2-behind-the-scenes.53800/

Behind the Scenes Part 2 features Behind the Scenes for our Thor: the Dark World Scene Recreation all the way to our Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 Scene Recreation.

Marvel Recreation Universe BTS Episode 13: Spider-Man Homecoming

In this episode, we break down everything it took to bring our Spider-Man Homecoming Scene Recreation to life.

This SR is interesting, as it is the only SR in our Film, that features 0 in-depth visual effects or spectacle, and was created for the purpose of telling Peter’s Parker’s story in our Production.

Jon is a massive Spider-Man fan, and after a long wait to perform the character I wanted him to feel what it truly is like to be Spider-Man.

To experience some of Peter’s biggest failures, and successes across the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

In our Film, Spider-Man:

1. Meets Captain America (Extraordinary event) (Big success)

2. Gets his suit taken away by Tony Stark (Biggest Failure) (All is lost)

3. Is dusted in the universe snap (Unfortunate event)

4. Comes back to life, and assembles alongside other Avengers (Epic moment, high stakes)

5. Is betrayed by Mysterio, and defeats him ( Gratifying but sad victory, Strong emotions)

This gave Jon a fulfilling, and satisfying arc to perform Parker, with a wide range of different situations and interactions as the iconic character.

All our 5 main characters in our movie go through Arcs in our Film, this helps keep the audience even more invested as we are telling a story with these characters and using different Scene Recreations from movies to accomplish this.

It’s a story within the Recreations.

This SR is also, one of the lowest points during the making of Mru, as the production was falling apart all around us as me and Jon were filming this one.

Me and Jon were focusing on this SR performance wise, while making sure Mru it’self did not collapse in the process.

Link:

The story with John sure gave you a lot of extra work to do but you all still kept a positive attitude and found the best solutions and back up plans. When you just see the film, you see the result but you have no idea what happens behind the scenes, this is why these series are so insightful. And then, there is me. I am demotivated by every small problem I find and I get anxious and scared. 😆 I think I said it before but this really inspires me.

Thank you, Emily! Agreed. Behind the Scenes content is always interesting as it gives you a deeper look at what goes behind any production.

Filmmaking can be scary. It may not seem like it, but I was scared and nervous during the making of Mru. What if I say the wrong thing in negotiations and an actor decides not to join the film? What if an actor meets me for the first time and I am a disappointing Director? What if the vfx on a SR turns out awful? etc.

Being anxious and unsure is all apart of the natural process of Filmmaking. If it's something you never done before, you are going to be uncertain of whether you can pull it off or not. It's normal.

Tom Holland (The Mcu Spider-Man actor) said he thought he was going to get fired every single day until Spider-Man Homecoming released in theaters. He was concerned if people would accept him as Spider-Man or not.

A wise man once said it like this: Real confidence comes from winning and losing enough that you know the difference.

This is the only way. :)

Marvel Recreation Universe BTS Episode 14: Thor Ragnarok

This SR proved to be one of the most challenging to composite, background wise. The question arose: How do we using stock footage, create a blue Gladiator arena in space?

It took quite a few tests, and strategies to solve this particular problem.

This SR is also interesting, as it contains Vfx elements that were planned but dropped in post. Some of the visual effects initially outlined, we cancelled in the edit, as it turns out they would have taken more time to pull off then the entire SR itself.

A Big shout - out to my older brother Gabriel Johnson aka Bob. Bob is a soldier in the U.S Army, a video-game developer, and writer, and has helped behind the Scenes on Mru in many ways.

The Green face paint on Thor was a gift from him to use in any of our Productions we needed it for. Our next Production became Mru, and we used it in our Ragnarok SR.

Bob has been apart of Mru and my filmmaking longer than anyone else including our creative consultant Christian M.

Every time we caught up on the phone, I would always discuss Mru and the various stages our production was in.

Bob purchased for me a Star-Lord replica cosplay helmet as an encouragement to keep going with Mru after our first SR, Guardians of the Galaxy 1 Scene Recreation released and before we had more than 2 actors on board for the project.

When Mru was just a dream, on a piece of paper, ready to be created.

And much more.

Mru would not be the same without Bob's constant support and encouragement across the entire production.

Link:

It would've taken indeed, a very long time just to color grade the red.

Your Thor is handsome. The original Thor actor would be proud.
Thank you, Amy! We were very fortunate that Jake is also a model and routinely works out. Jake embodies the role of Thor and reenacts Hemsworth's original performance in a believable and engaging way.

When his friends and family found out he was cast as Thor, one of his friends shouted out excitedly, yes! I knew it! He is Thor!!

Receiving feedback that people around Jake believed in him as Thor, helped reassure us that we were on the proper path casting this Avenger.

It's interesting that if you look at Jake's Instagram profile picture it is in the same style as Chris Hemsworth's and he looks like Chris. Seeing that was the final confirmation that Jake was the right choice for this role.

Jake's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/_jake_kaufman/

Thank you, Amy! We were very fortunate that Jake is also a model and routinely works out. Jake embodies the role of Thor and reenacts Hemsworth's original performance in a believable and engaging way.

When his friends and family found out he was cast as Thor, one of his friends shouted out excitedly, yes! I knew it! He is Thor!!

Receiving feedback that people around Jake believed in him as Thor, helped reassure us that we were on the proper path casting this Avenger.

It's interesting that if you look at Jake's Instagram profile picture it is in the same style as Chris Hemsworth's and he looks like Chris. Seeing that was the final confirmation that Jake was the right choice for this role.

I am still looking at Jake's Instagram. He has a really professional feed!

Jake is a great model, I'll give him that! As a photographer, I'd love to have someone like him for a creative project for my portfolio.

I am still looking at Jake's Instagram. He has a really professional feed!
Agreed! It's great to see how far Jake is coming as an actor. From working with us in a small studio, where you can accidentally run into a light if you move into the wrong position, to taking photos shoots in a professional Green Screen studio for Model Companies.

Look forward to working with him again some time in the future on a more advanced (Budget wise) Production.

Jake is a great model, I'll give him that! As a photographer, I'd love to have someone like him for a creative project for my portfolio.
He is! Jake captures the tone and the mood of the images very well. He understands what the photographers want from him, and delivers on a great level.

For those interested in more from Jake, he recently conducted an interview to promote one of his latest Films: Catfishing.

Marvel Recreation Universe BTS Episode 15: Infinity War

The Mru is interesting, as it is a film without a main villain.

Our antagonist Thanos, ended up getting cut out of 95% of Scene Recreations he was originally featured in.

It's funny looking back, at how it all happened:

Initially, we wanted to honor Infinity war and Endgame's massive scale by creating 4 SR's for each movie. We felt that was the best way to tell our story and live up to everything that happens in these massive films.

The idea was that we teased Thanos at the end of our Battle for New York SR and now he was going to face our SR team Avengers in an epic final showdown. The climax of our film.

Our original layout looked something like this:

IW SR's:

1. Thanos arrives and takes the Tesseract from Loki.

2. Thor arrives in Wakanda

3. Thanos vs Iron Man

4. The Universe Snap.

Endgame SR's

1. Hawk-eye vs Black Widow

2. Cap vs Thanos

3. Portals/Avengers Assemble.

4. Iron Man snaps Thanos into dust.

We removed Costumed Loki from our Production for Budgetary reasons, which cut out Thanos's intro from our film, the Thanos vs Iron Man and Thanos vs Cap SR'S proved to be very similar, so the Iron man vs Thanos SR was cut.

The Cap vs Thanos sequence did not flow well with the pacing and rhythm of our film, our Thanos Costume looked wrong/ less quality in front of our Iron Man Cosplayer.

In the end, it worked out for the best, as it turned out this kind of production did not need a villain. Instead of the Story, being about defeating Thanos, it became about people impacted by the Mcu, uniting together to create something unique and special.

This is the start of the closing final 5 episodes to our BTS Series. After that, we have a couple of other Mru BTS - related projects releasing before the end of the year and then Mru is complete.

This is the beginning of the last of Mru.

Link:

I miss the Black Panther :(

Marvel Recreation Universe BTS Episode 15: Infinity War

The Mru is interesting, as it is a film without a main villain.

Our antagonist Thanos, ended up getting cut out of 95% of Scene Recreations he was originally featured in.

It's funny looking back, at how it all happened:

Initially, we wanted to honor Infinity war and Endgame's massive scale by creating 4 SR's for each movie. We felt that was the best way to tell our story and live up to everything that happens in these massive films.

The idea was that we teased Thanos at the end of our Battle for New York SR and now he was going to face our SR team Avengers in an epic final showdown. The climax of our film.

Our original layout looked something like this:

IW SR's:

1. Thanos arrives and takes the Tesseract from Loki.

2. Thor arrives in Wakanda

3. Thanos vs Iron Man

4. The Universe Snap.

Endgame SR's

1. Hawk-eye vs Black Widow

2. Cap vs Thanos

3. Portals/Avengers Assemble.

4. Iron Man snaps Thanos into dust.

We removed Costumed Loki from our Production for Budgetary reasons, which cut out Thanos's intro from our film, the Thanos vs Iron Man and Thanos vs Cap SR'S proved to be very similar, so the Iron man vs Thanos SR was cut.

The Cap vs Thanos sequence did not flow well with the pacing and rhythm of our film, our Thanos Costume looked wrong/ less quality in front of our Iron Man Cosplayer.

In the end, it worked out for the best, as it turned out this kind of production did not need a villain. Instead of the Story, being about defeating Thanos, it became about people impacted by the Mcu, uniting together to create something unique and special.

This is the start of the closing final 5 episodes to our BTS Series. After that, we have a couple of other Mru BTS - related projects releasing before the end of the year and then Mru is complete.

This is the beginning of the last of Mru.

Link:

I like the toy :D

I like the toy :D
Thank you, Emily! :D A Funko Pop of the character they play in our Scene Recreations was gifted to many of the actors in Mru as a thank you for joining us in our Film.

The addition of a Funko Pop helped actors join our Production.

It gave the actors something to remember the Production by, and when they see the Pop on their desk it reminds them of Mru, and the project they were apart of.

Ego Actor Brian Barnett, accepted the Funko Pop, as part of payment for his performance.

Michael Titta (Our original Iron Man actor) received an Iron Man Funko Pop,

Gregory Brookins, (Nick Fury actor for Battle for New York) a Nick Fury Funko Pop,

Jon played 2 characters in Mru, and was gifted a Captain America and Spider-Man Funko Pop,

And I, kept a Hawk-Eye Funko Pop, on my desk, during the editing for Mru.

It's interesting, looking at some of the SR's that almost made it into our film.

This is a vfx test, of our Iron Man vs Thanos SR we created before our Battle for New York SR. (Unlisted video) Not available public on our channel.)

Thank you, Emily! :D A Funko Pop of the character they play in our Scene Recreations was gifted to many of the actors in Mru as a thank you for joining us in our Film.

The addition of a Funko Pop helped actors join our Production.

It gave the actors something to remember the Production by, and when they see the Pop on their desk it reminds them of Mru, and the project they were apart of.

Ego Actor Brian Barnett, accepted the Funko Pop, as part of payment for his performance.

Michael Titta (Our original Iron Man actor) received an Iron Man Funko Pop,

Gregory Brookins, (Nick Fury actor for Battle for New York) a Nick Fury Funko Pop,

Jon played 2 characters in Mru, and was gifted a Captain America and Spider-Man Funko Pop,

And I, kept a Hawk-Eye Funko Pop, on my desk, during the editing for Mru.

It's interesting, looking at some of the SR's that almost made it into our film.

This is a vfx test, of our Iron Man vs Thanos SR we created before our Battle for New York SR. (Unlisted video) Not available public on our channel.)

This is such an epic scene! :D

Network Sponsors

Back