Lense suggestion for Canon DSLR

dob4die

Hi All,
Finally ,I am going to buy my own Canon DSLR (either t3i or 60D). I read somewhere and some one suggested me that kit lense that comes with camera is not good and planning to buy Body only . But I am so confused on what lense to buy because of lack of knowledge on lense and research on lense on internet is too much to understand for my exp level. . Could you please suggest good lense?

I know its very dumb question to ask without telling purpose as different lenses serve different purpose. Only need for me is getting Film like video (keeping the subject in focus and blur the background) on my DSLR , No Still photography at all. we are going to shoot only video on it ... as far my research goes there are 2 types of lenses ...Prime(Fixed focal length) and
Zoom lenses(variable focal length) ... and both have their own advantages and disadvantages ... which one is good for video production ?

Next considerable point about lenses for me is budget , I don't have big budgets for my lense .. only less than $500..having said that i can't afford L series lenses from canon. I am not concerned about the brand though ...any manufacture lense that serves my purpose will be good.At this point of time I am only afford to buy only one lense .

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated ,if you have example videos of your work online with the suggested lense would be great.Thanks in advance!!

The T3i was my first choice for a dSLR also. I researched it extensively. I decided I didn't want that kit lens either, and to get one I wanted was pushing me beyond my affordability senses.
Here's a canon page showing samples with different lenses:
http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos600d/

I'd suspect you'd want a zoom for video usage.
The 18-200mm looks attractive functionally to me. The pic, Sample 2, looks pretty good, keeping in mind that it's focused on the foreground (lower right corner) and it's a jpeg, not raw. My take is that it would perform well above HD video resolution requirements.
It has auto-focus and image-stabilization. It seems to be well appreciated by its owners:

So, if I had to make one, that would be my recommendation, if you could afford it. (It's above $500, but if you buy the T3i, which is $100 less than the D60, it fits your total budget.)

(Keep in mind that, as it's an EF-S lens, it can't be used on a full-frame dSLR, should you ever move to that.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Network Sponsors

Back