Is Film School overrated?

S

sergiom920

I am 16 years old and live in Queens, NY. Just half an hour from the East Coast film capital in the US. I am a good student, and would have a good chance at going to NYU or SVA, but looking at my interests in multimedia, and my rather problematic relationship with standard educational practices, I think that majoring in Film at these big time schools is a waste of time, and sometimes more important, especially in the independent medium, money.
The fact that to graduate as a Film well.. graduate, you have to take so many unrelated courses and waste so much time on technicality rather than experimentation, I think is quite outrageous and idiotic. A possible scenario that keeps popping in my head is that of having a groundbreaking idea, that you know could make your benefactors a lot of money, and considering the kind of mentality in show business I don't think someone is going to dismiss me because I did not go to Film School. I know it's most surely going to be tougher than that to have that kind of oportunity, but it seems very real that the efficiency of the film program in universities is limited due to the amount of time and effort put on other school activities, AND the fact that these days one can pay a small fraction of what it would cost and take a detailed, intensive 16 week course at a specialized institution like the NYFA or the Digital Film Academy (because I am compelled by digital possibilities, HD and that kind of thing)...
To me it seems like these courses would be able to train one better, faster and more intensely than a four year undergraduate Film major at NYU..
I could be wrong and appreciate your opinions about this, especially since i still haven't decided what I'm gonna do about it.. Thanks in advance

I feel like I may have a lot that I can share with anybody having these sentiments. When I was a senior in high school, I told my parents that I really didn't want to go to college; I wanted to go straight to Los Angeles. I had connections, friends. But, I went to film school anyway. For a year...

While I was at film school, I made a few interesting discoveries:

1. I was not like the other kids. I was going into a university program where most of the kids had never worked on a film set, didn't know what a film festival was, and weren't close to being interested in the business end. I had done all of these things and built up my pedigree over high school.

1a. I was not like the other kids. I wanted to make movies for a living. Most of these kids I still refer to as Bohemian putzes. They wanted to make bad student films about drugs, sex, and the burden of the white suburban American teenager. I wanted to make films that have drugs and sex, but were also more than just inside jokes. Unfortunately, because it's college, it's a giant democracy. And, just as in Democracy, there are more of them than there are of me.

1b. I was not like the other kids. While the serious film majors went there to jumpstart their careers by making mediocre student films that would probably never make it into festivals, I wanted to hobnob with the professors, start making connections, begin doing EVERYTHING that it takes to be successful. The professors weren't used to that.

2. Film school life. For me, film school life was about teaching myself how to do things. I'd walk onto a set as a PA, or something else of the sort. Many times, I'd find myself asking questions like, "why the hell are you doing that?" I knew better than a lot of my friends. It got frustrating.

3. Film school films. I saw several films that were made in previous years, and had the opportunity to work on several more. Watching them, in the end, I asked myself why they looked like, sounded like, and marketed like student-produced films. I didn't like the fact that people were hitting a bar that had been set years before. I didn't like the fact that they didn't use this as an opportunity to raise the bar. The competition level was frustratitng. There was competition, but again, see Democracy.

4. Unprofessionalism. Students who think they are professionals, but would be bitched out (by me, now working regularly as an AD and producer) if they ever set foot on a professional set. Producers who were able to haggle a free tire out of Wal-Mart just to see how much they could get. Editors who did two quick passes and called it good. Directors who didn't get the coverage the needed, then yelled at a DP for not getting the coverage they wanted, too. Frustrating.

5. Post-Film School. My best friends in film school were all seniors when I was a freshman. Don't ask, we just clicked. Anyway, they graduated. What are they doing? One is a side-order chef at Applebees. One is a stock boy at Bed Bath and Beyond. One works at an assisted living facility. They aren't doing what they want to do. They are waiting for their big break, not MAKING their big break.

For me, film school was horrible. It was a waste of time, a wasted of money, a wasted of everything. Now, this may be due to the fact that I was in a regular university program. I'd LOVE to get an opportunity to attend a film conservatory, such as Fullsail, NYFA, or EICAR in Paris. I've had many friends that have gone through their programs, and they fell in love with them. These are the guys that are now out working and making al iving doing what they love.

Now, for some people, film school may work. For you, if you have an opportunity to attend a NYU, by all means, I'd say go for it. For as many USC trained filmmakers in the world today, there are just as many Quentin Tarantinos, Kevin Smiths, and Steven Soderberghs.

Film school is about personal preference. Do some real soul searching, and decide what you want to do.

Here's my $.02 -- film school can be great for a number of reasons.
One, you make contacts. Now if you're an extroverted type and you love to go into new situations then you might not need these contacts.
For me, one of the best features of film school was that instant crew, instant instruction and access to jobs I wouldn't have known about otherwise.

Some of the kids I went to school with were slackers and were only there to appease Mom & Dad, but I met some really great folks with really great ideas.

Another benefit: you can experiment with different techniques and different film aspects without wasting your own money. If I had tried to rent the equipment I had access to, buy the supplies, well, it would have cost me more than one year at film school.

If you're the type of person like Temerson and you already have an incredible amount of drive and you know your way around a set, then film school might be a waste of time for you.

For someone like myself, who was quite a bit older when I decided to become a filmmaker, film school was my best choice. Having a full-time job didn't give me extra time to get out there and immerse myself in the local film scene. With film school, the local scene came to me instead and I was even able to work on a feature length film that came from Hollywood to shoot in my city. From that I was asked, due to my work ethic, to help with the post-production. So right there I have multiple credits in a feature length film that I wouldn't have unless I had been at film school.
And when the film premiere's in LA, I'll get to be there.
(Just an FYI, I only spent one year in film school before I decided that I had enough experience to go out on my own)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!!!

Really, this is an individual question that everyone must address to themselves.

However, one of the best things about going to film school is simply that it is an open environment with virtually no boundaries. You can make whatever you like however you like it and you wont have a studio executive who will say no to you.

The freedom of expression that is available to a filmmaker in school is something they rarely have an opportunity to experience outside of it.

Just something to think about.

Yeah but what about going to a specialized school liek the NY Film Academy, it seems to me that that'd give you all the 'good stuff' about film school as well without the extra work...
your thoughts??

I've spoken with friends that have had experiences in the conservatory programs. While you may read my horror story above, I still think that it all comes down to personal preference. What you get at a conservatory is hands-on film making the first day in class. All you learn is how to do physical film production. On one hand, this is awesome, because it's what most kids want. On the other, especially if you want to be a professional writer or producer, a lot of the big names (studios, production companies, distribution companies) look for people with non-film degrees from traditional universities - they want well-rounded individuals, whom they can teach to make films THEIR way. I don't knock the conservatory route at all. But, consider a lot of things, first:

1. What will set you apart from everybody else? Everybody going there probably has at least some experience. What will make professors want to be interested in YOUR future?
2. What pedigree do the professors have?
3. Where is it? (for instance, you might be able to get more work in New York City than Florida, or you may be able to get better work if you are an American living overseas. Do some research.)
4. How much does it cost? Can you apply for financial aid? Do they offer scholarships or grants?
5. What are your chances of finding post-graduation work?
6. Where do you have to live? (dorms, apartments, do you have family or friends you could stay with, etc.)
7. What connections does this school have, especially for your focus area?
8. What are the outside-opportunites offered in the community you are looking at? (volunteer activities, jobs, public service, etc. This will help combat that well-roundedness that comes from a traditional university.)
9. Do you know anybody who went there? Call them and ask them about it.

I say give it a try. Just make sure you know what you're doing before you throw down $30,000 and three years of your life.

Thanks man, you been a great deal of help, I'll definitely have to do some deep meditation on this before I make a concrete choice of where I want to go, but it is cool that you can find people to help you out like this hehe...

Film school or no film school? This is the question we all seem to ask. All i can add is what a producer/ mentor told me. The powers that be in the industry don't really care about what degree you have. You DO need marketable hands-on skills, contacts, and a willingness to get your hands dirty with a good attitude that demonstrates your dedication.
On the other hand, I am personally a fan of higher education and I would never tell someone not to go. Just make sure whatever school you choose, if you do so, provides plenty of hands-on opportunity and is up to date with the digital technology.

Majoring in film at a university does provide things that a "technical school" will not provide. You are right that you will take a lot of "unrelated" classes. But these classes are the ones that will expand your mind. A person who has taken literature, psychology, and sciences is going to have more depth from which to draw when they are telling stories on film. Math and business classes will help to prepare you for the business end of filmmaking. Filmmaking is more than just learning to operate a camera; it's storytelling. I'm sure this isn't the case for everyone, but for many, that time of being educated will make them better storytellers.

I'm probably not someone to seriously weigh in because I too, am a high school senior, but I'm definitely going to go to a Lib Arts College and major in film. I agree with Timely; I think there's more to learning and the college experience than what a conservatory can give you. But I am someone who has known for her entire life that she was going to college - it's just where I feel I should be. I could probably do a lot of things, but I'm choosing filmmaking over anything else. I'd say just do what feels right. If you really don't want to take any classes other than filmmaking, consider a conservatory, or maybe an intensive program such as Emerson (in Boston), which is a great college, but from what I hear won't teach you much other than your major. Good luck!

Film School Confidential - Though the information about the schools is dated (and should pretty much be disregarded), the other information is spectacular (it's all coming from two graduates of film schools): advice on what to expect and get from film school, life after film school, life during film school...a great general reference, but ignore the specific information on schools.

I agree with the idea that going to a film school is an individual decision. What is right for some people isn't right for everyone.
I do think that there are a number of benefits that come with attending film school. Some of these include the opportunity to network with people, the ability to learn how to use the different types of equipment, and getting a film degree certainly cannot hurt your chances of getting a job.

i went to film school.

-- i was screwing up my college degree, i quit college and then enrolled to film school.

i had photographers, writers and advertising hotshots as classmates.
-- i was the youngest and as it turns out i was actually good at it and maybe, even better than my classmates. haha.

after graduation, you realize that you're alone in all this.

-- even if you've managed to make connections and friends in school, they've all got their own agendas.

a diploma, a few student films and a good word from your professors is not going to get you a job that easily.

you find yourself competing with writers with degrees and masters.

young directors who studied waaaaayyyy from spain, italy, france --or some exotic island.

and several crappy directors who happens to be sons and daughters and descendants of the first guy who starred in a colored film.

so now what do i do? im going back to school. i want the degree so i could slap people around with it.

plus, i work in and out of the country for TV and films.

at least i get a bit of an edge with that.

So far, I can tell you that Film school is a place where you'll get the chance to shoot a film for Cheap and at the same time build contacts for the future.

I've met some NYU students in film, and they seem to like it. You get to shoot on an Arri SR1 first year, so thats cool.. My first year I shot with a Bolex... so you guys get crystal sync, I get hand cranked lol

not fun for doing sync sound I'll tell you that much.

SO Contacts, cheap costing film... fun for a few years... BUT mainly in the states, everyone's a filmmaker... just go out there and make movies you like to make, and ultimately you'll end up somewhere!?

i depends how much it costs...

you'll get a lot out of it depending how much you knew going in.. but most film schools don't teach you how to get a job...

if you're motivated, a self-starter, and have a strong work ethic, you could do it without film school.

mc

Re: Is Film School overrated?

sergiom920 said:
I am 16 years old and live in Queens, NY. Just half an hour from the East Coast film capital in the US. I am a good student, and would have a good chance at going to NYU or SVA, but looking at my interests in multimedia, and my rather problematic relationship with standard educational practices, I think that majoring in Film at these big time schools is a waste of time, and sometimes more important, especially in the independent medium, money.
The fact that to graduate as a Film well.. graduate, you have to take so many unrelated courses and waste so much time on technicality rather than experimentation, I think is quite outrageous and idiotic. A possible scenario that keeps popping in my head is that of having a groundbreaking idea, that you know could make your benefactors a lot of money, and considering the kind of mentality in show business I don't think someone is going to dismiss me because I did not go to Film School. I know it's most surely going to be tougher than that to have that kind of oportunity, but it seems very real that the efficiency of the film program in universities is limited due to the amount of time and effort put on other school activities, AND the fact that these days one can pay a small fraction of what it would cost and take a detailed, intensive 16 week course at a specialized institution like the NYFA or the Digital Film Academy (because I am compelled by digital possibilities, HD and that kind of thing)...
To me it seems like these courses would be able to train one better, faster and more intensely than a four year undergraduate Film major at NYU..
I could be wrong and appreciate your opinions about this, especially since i still haven't decided what I'm gonna do about it.. Thanks in advance

In basically the same predicament as you. I find not only in the theatre productions I've been in at my school, but in making shorts that a lot of people say that they wanna be filmmakers, but when it comes time to be serious and do it they goof off, much like what the other guy was talking about what happened at film school. As for me I'm gonna make a few more shorts and then i'm gonna make and ultra low budget feature and go from there. I'll probably still wind up going to film school somewhere, I'm looking at Full Sail. I'm also filmming a 40 minute short right now. As for you, follow your heart. Best of luck.

well i think its important that you know what you are getting yourself into and filmschool gives that. but then again you can do research on your own also. but most importantly i think you should surround yourself with people with the same interest. maybe you can learn from them also.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia everything!!

Network Sponsors

Back