What is the #1 film school?

It is my dream to make really good movies and become a film maker however I am not so good at being self-taught like others. I need guidance and I believe that going to Uni is the way for me. I live in United Kingdom and I am conducting research on multiple Universities that I could attend. I see so many mixed opinions from graduates that confuse me. I really want to attend the best Uni that I can and use all my enthusiasm in my favor and learn as much as I can. I want to learn from the best teachers. What do you believe to be the number 1 film school?

The #1 Film School is the one that you can afford to attend. All Film Schools are good and they all have good teachers. If you are willing to put in the work and learn, you can learn anywhere, really.

It is not the school you attend, but what you learn in it. The big, prestigious schools charge an enormous amount of tuition; and I doubt that the hundreds of thousands spent to attend are worth it. Some of the smaller universities are very affordable, and offer excellent educations. Film school is only there to provide an overview -- none of them are state of the art (even though they claim to be), so the technical side you will learn after you graduate. But the aesthetics, you will learn at a good school. Hollywood does not hire based on your academic history; they just want to know that you attended and graduated. After that, what you can prove about your knowledge in an interview will make all the difference. Never let education get in the way of learning!

I know some great award-winning filmmakers that didn't go to film school or they dropped out to start working in the filmmaking industry and I think David Mullen ASC says here somewhere that he got most of the experience working on his friend's or students' movies and that is where he learned to light. My point is that if you want to get started in the filmmaking business you can do it in other ways besides going to film school. I don't want to discourage going to school but it's getting the experience of doing the work that is going to really make the difference.

Network Sponsors

Back