Is conversion from HD video to Film Possible?

Shur

Hello,

I really appreciate your taking time to read through my posting. Thank you.

I was wondering if I shot a movie or a documentary in High Definition with a JVC GY-HD100 camera and edit it on an AVID PRO HD System, if I would be able to convert with an excellent professional quality to 35mm or Panavision Film for theater projection. Is this possible?

I am sure there are a whole lot of experienced Cinematographers like you who should be able to advise me. I thank you, once again, for your time and look forward to hearing from you. Please copy your posting to my email address Shur007@gmail.com

Thanks and regards,
Shur

He's been asking this question all over the internet and I already answered him elsewhere...

...but he wasn't asking about a "film look", he was asking if the JVC HDV image, posted in HD, and transferred to 35mm would be professional-looking with decent picture quality.

The answer is a resounding... "maybe". No, it won't look like 35mm film but on the other hand, the quality would probably be higher than some of the DV-to-35mm movies that get theatrical distribution.

The real question is if the quality would be comparable to the pro-HD movies transferred to 35mm. My guess, again, is "maybe" -- I suspect that it would be a notch lower than the quality of something shot in 720P on the Varicam for example, which is a 2/3" CCD camcorder.

But how well the footage shot has a big impact on the quality of the transfer.

My suggestion is to go look at some of the HD-to-35mm movies currently in theaters. The documentaries "An Inconvenient Truth" and "Who Killed the Electric Car?" have a lot of HD material in them, mixed with other formats, high and low, and the projects were mastered in HD before they were filmed-out. "An Inconvenient Truth" shot the Al Gore lecture on an F950, mixed with some behind-the-scenes stuff (Gore visiting his family ranch, Gore in his hotel room, etc.) shot in Super-16 and transferred to HD. Plus there are some other formats here and there.

You could always shoot a very short test and get it transferred to 35mm and project the results and decide for yourself.

Network Sponsors

Back