iris and shutter question

mightyjoe22

anyone know any good articles on theses subjects... i googled these topics but i want a good article about these.... i basically know how these functios work but want more info.

For a great book on this topic and many more, pick up a copy of Cinematography by Kris Malkiewicz. It's an excellent book on the subject. For outstanding articles about the different artistic choices in the use of shutter and aperture, get a subscription to American Cinematographer. Both the book and the subscription are worth every penny.

I actually prefer Blain Brown's book called Cinematography. I think its a lot more intersting than Malkewitz, although I haven't read the new edition which M. David Mullen helped write. They're both good books to read really.

There is no reason not to get both books. Blain Brown's book is much more in depth and advanced. Malkewitz book is very simple and easy to read. He focuses more on 16mm application, but the same princibles apply. I would also get matters of light and depth. I'm forgetting the author but it is also a great book for lighting and has some great lessons to practice. Also the Set lighting technician's hand book by Harry Box is really a great guide if you want to learn about electrians, which is a good way to start in the business. Buy every book is valuable because different people explain the same topics in different ways which will help you really understand the subject.

Network Sponsors

Back