Iris Pull vs. Overexposure?

G

Gohanto

Hello, Currently I'm working out a shot that has to move from outside to inside in a single take shot with GS500 on a steadicam. Currently my plan is to lock the white balance to a neutral position and CC in post. My larger question is about the exposure.

I can either do an iris pull when the shot gets to the door to correctly expose for indoors, or I can overexpose the outdoor scene to get the correct level indoors (keeping the iris locked all the way through).

I would do the iris pull, especially if you are shooting video and have poor overexposure latitude. Trouble is that with your camera, you probably can't do a true iris pull (one stop outside changing to another inside), but put the camera on auto-iris, which is not exactly the same thing because it will keep over-adjusting for things. But you may have no choice if leaving the exposure locked makes everything outside clippy. Especially if you don't plan on adjusting the color in-camera for outside and leaving it later for post, because you'll be trying to color-correct overexposed & clipped material.

Safest thing would be to do two versions, one with the exposure locked and another with it adjusting.

Network Sponsors

Back