In Your Opinion .. What type of format & which Camera should I use?

doowopkid

I want to shoot a dated piece (1950's scene). Also, I want to shoot in color. What format should I use (16mm, 35mm, digital, etc) and which camera should I use? Thanks!

Blackmagic Cinema cameras look reasonable. Some newly available camera recording formats are Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD.
The indie film The Way, Way Back was shot in ProRes 4:4:4 on an ARRI ALEXA. ProRes gives much less recorded data than Raw, which also might need tethering to an external recording device.

I think I would want to record on ProRes and edit with FCP-X, if I had a film project right now.

PT, i didn't see an HDSLR in your list?

I don't know of any HDSLRs that record directly to ProRes, which would be my own current preference for a recording format. This is based on the specified qualities of ProRes, plus the cinematic quality that I saw in the successful indie The Way, Way Back, recorded in ProRes 444.

There are some external recorders that will record source to disk as various ProRes formats, like the Atomos Ninja 2 Video Recorder (422 10bit). It also supports Avid DNxHD, as does the ALEXA.

For a camera that would use an external recorder, then HDSLRs are a possibility, except, in video mode, they mostly seem to give around 24Mbps data rate, and the higher end is sub 100Mbps I've read that he Canon 60D is an HDMI out camera, but it cannot be used with the Ninja 2. Allegedly the Sony FS100 can, but at 8 bits.

So I don't actually recommend any HDSLRs, as they don't seem to fit well here, and there always seem to be major compromises in still cameras for key video features. However, I know they are very useful for process work in still or interval mode. The stop-motion film Fantastic Mr. Fox was shot with a Nikon D3.

Thank you for sharing this information. I have heard that there is some type of issue that i think is with the codec or meta data on the canon cameras that prevent the Atomos devices from working.

Network Sponsors

Back