importing pictures into the Avid

M

m.avidov

hi
I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best format for importing pictures into the Avid (resolution wise, etc.).
I am creating a stop-motion short picture, so the resolution is quite critical.
thanks for the help

Well,
First I would recommend Photoshop as your software... if you hadn't already considered software... Photoshop is going to give you the best video bang for your buck.

As for resolution... that depends on several things.

#1 - What is the intended format?
> NTSC is 640x480 (4:3)
> NTSC-DV is 720x480 (3:2)
> ETC...

Basically, you need to know the resolution of your intended format... then you need to format the media to your liking...

Other things to consider:
Will you be doing any motion effects? like zooming in on the picture? if so, then you'll want to render the image at a larger resolution than your intended format and play with your motion controls... this way you'll preserve the best possible resolution.

Anyhow,
I hope this helps...
let me know if you need more.

thanks for the reply- most helpful.
I was wondering though does this mean that I import using psd files, beacuse I will be editig this on Avid?

Um... most files should be fine...
you'll want to read your avid documentation to double check that though...

I would assume & bet that the best bet would be Bitmap (*.bmp), JPEG (*.jpg) or TIFF (*.tiff)

I tend to use Targa or Tiff Files since they can hold Alpha Channel informatiion.
I don't believe .psd files are supported.
also make sure you choose the correct Color space in the import options. RGB for matching your analog source media and 601 for digital (D1, DV, Serial Digital) source media.

Network Sponsors

Back