importing dvsd files

dimitris

hello,
i have some avi files exported from adobe premiere. The files can not play in quicktime of in final cut. I can hear the sound but i have no video.
Quicktime says its in dvsd format.
Anybody knows how can i use them in final cut? I wouldn't like to do any other encoding cause i don't want to loose in quality.
Or even if someone knows any other avi format I can export them in premiere to be able to use them.

Thanks,
dimitris

personally, if I was going to be pulling it into another editing app, I would export it as uncompressed footage. If you compress it to .avi or .mpg or whatever, you're going to be encoding it again when you're done in FCP.
I haven't used premiere in like 5 years, but I would imagine it's got an export setting so that it's not compressed at all

the thing is I don't really want to use it in final cut.
I want to use it in Director. I will not edit the video.
But Director uses quicktime for playing videos. So it has to be in a format that quicktime can read. It is just the same problem as if i wanted to use it in final cut.

The problem you're running into is that the codec its exporting to isn't one recognized by Quicktime... Turkeyjerky is right, you should be able to export uncompressed footage and import it into any program. The problem isn't with the file extension; Quicktime can import numerous types of files, depending on if it's been compressed with a codec it can recognize and use to decode the file. But, if you export uncompressed .avi files you should be able to import it no problem... Note that the uncompressed .avi files will be upwards of 12gigs to the hour: if you're not using an external drive to transfer between machines it might be easier to export separate smaller files and then reassemble them on the machine you'll be editing on.

Actually, if Premiere works the same way it does when I used to use the program, you should be able to locate your raw source footage (where did you offline the video to when you imported it to your computer?) and just copy that footage, without even bothering to export it out of Premiere. Premiere usually works with uncompressed .avi files, so rather than creating twice as many of those files on your computer, you should be able to just grab the originals (this is assuming you want to work with unedited source footage; if you're exporting finished projects you'll need to export as the raw .avi).

Hope this helps,

Network Sponsors

Back