iMac for editing vs. PC

• iMac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

seroe

hi

i know you have probably answered this question a million times, but i have looked and cant see an old post about it so...

i am ready to buy a new computer, which i will be using for filmmaking, and i really have my heart set on an apple. i cant justify spending nearly 2 thousand pounds on a big mac, so i am looking at an iMac. i can fit 4gb memory in it, andits a quad duo processor, as im sure you will know.

what are peoples thoughts, and what is the usual advice on the subject. also include stuff about PCs as i am not totally determined to only have an apple. although it is preferred.

im aware of the general arguements for and against apple or pc, but wanted to hear what filmmakers had to say about it all...

ta

I personally prefer a PC. Though you can get the same results either way, I just find PC to be more easily upgraded, and affordable.. And I've always felt I have more control over a PC.. if you do get a PC. Stick with XP I hear Vista sucks..

I'd lean towards Mac's as they're predisposition is towards this thing. PC's may have the software, etc. but Mac's where built and designed with this sorta thing in mind.

But that's just mho.

I'd go with a PC. I custom built mine to my own spec, and they seem a lot more approachable, upgrade-wise, than Macs do. The software is there, you'd me missing out on Final Cut Pro but there are alternatives that are of the same standard. Personally I'd go PC, plus if you ever get bored you've got a gazillion games to try :p

Hi,

I'm new here. Kind of an aspiring Jack-of-all-Trades.

Personally, I would go with any Mac over any PC. That is a personal opinion. However, I find that Mac's are a whole lot easier to work with when it comes to editing video and making dvd or photo projects. Mac's tend to use their RAM better, also my personal opinion.

Like cyersarge said, Mac's are made with this kind of stuff in mind.

I have used both system, and a few otheres (anyone remember the VideoCube, or the NewTek Toaster) extensively for the past few decades. I still have a Mac and PC on my desk, but do all my production on a Mac.

I find that I spend more time creating on a mac, and more time fixing problems on a PC.

Your mileage may vary.

Mac always wins!

Mac always wins!

I have used beginner programs on PC for a few years. I became a senior and we got macs and i now use final cut pro. I will never use a PC again for any artistic work (and am frowning upon the college that i am going to making me learn Avid - however afte rthe course i will return use of Macs and FC)

Macs are so much faster and better than PCs. Graphics are so much clearer tthan PCs. I would invest the extra money to buy a MAC anytime over a PC (though If i'm going to run pro software like FC or AVID it will cost about the same amt of $$$ to buy a powerful laptop/computer to run either program. but macs are better)

Here are the reasons why you should go for PC more then mac.

1. Macs cost alot more then a PC.
2. If you're a student and cant afford to buy software, well I hate to say it, but PC has more stuff for free ;) if you get my drift.
3. Yes, Final Cut Pro is a great program, but if you want to edit for the industry, Avid Xpress pro/Media Composer is still more of an industry standard in comparison. Reasons why, Avid deals with FILM based media, and has always done so. FCP, can do it to, but you've got to open a bunch of other programs with FCP to work back to film.

4. Avid Media Composer is exactly what the Avid Adrenaline works with, so once you learn that prog, then you can tell people, HEy I have experience with MC and can work with 2K uncompressed media.
5. For mac, you can work with Avid, BUTTTTT runs better, generally, with PCs.

SO its up to you, pay for the name, or build a machine you can upgrade when ever you want.

Just dont install Vista.

GL

1. Macs cost alot more then a PC.

Blatantly not true.

2. If you're a student and cant afford to buy software, well I hate to say it, but PC has more stuff for free ;) if you get my drift.

Again, not true.

3. Yes, Final Cut Pro is a great program, but if you want to edit for the industry, Avid Xpress pro/Media Composer is still more of an industry standard in comparison. Reasons why, Avid deals with FILM based media, and has always done so. FCP, can do it to, but you've got to open a bunch of other programs with FCP to work back to film.

Not true, again. Look at all the films done with FCP. Not to mention Final Cut has the greater market share of independent productions and broadcast. Avid has only a slight edge in films, due to outdated legacy systems that are continually switching to FCP.

4. Avid Media Composer is exactly what the Avid Adrenaline works with, so once you learn that prog, then you can tell people, HEy I have experience with MC and can work with 2K uncompressed media.

There's no "different" versions of FCP, and not all Avid system are exactly the same, only Composer and Adrenaline. Move to any other Avid product, and it's a whole different story.

5. For mac, you can work with Avid, BUTTTTT runs better, generally, with PCs.

There's no imperical data to back that up. Not to mention in less than a year, 12% of Windows system have moved to running on Macs, and the Final Cut growth is far out pacing the rest of the market. If you're going to state facts, let's state facts, not outdated myths.

Network Sponsors

Back