Im New To this and deeply need advice.

2brothersfilm

Okay so Im about to go and take some film courses, and Im writing some feature film scripts, but for now, I am about to start in about a month, to shoot my first short film. Ive been doing some research on the best cameras for the occassion, and have seen some great short films shot with the canon xl1. But ive heard that with the gl2 you can get the same shits, and the same thing, and I can save money. So what do you guys think I should get???? XL1 OR GL2???? Cus I have a 3,000 dollar budget for the camera...its tax time yeah!!!! And by the way, what do I absolutely need to shoot the film, other then the camera. PLEASE HELP ME, SO I CAN GET THE BEST FILM POSSIBLE.

I'd try to find a used Panasonic DVX100B (or Canon XL2) so you can get 24P for that "film look" effect to the motion.

Besides a camera, generally you'll want a good tripod that allows smooth operating of pans & tilts, probably a simple mattebox / sunshade that allows you to use filters in front, some basic filters (maybe a Pola for starters, and some sort of diffusion, like a #1/4 Black ProMist or something, but that's less absolutely necessary).

Besides that and some extra batteries maybe, you may want an external mic set-up (shotgun mic, mic holder, boom, wind protection cover, etc.)

Some places to look at some camera articles and reviews are:
http://www.dvinfo.net
http://www.camcorderinfo.com

They can probably tell you more about the differences between the XL1 and GL1, although I think the main difference is that the GL1 doesn't have a removeable lens (most consumer DV cameras don't actually.) That may be fine with you.

YEAH, THANKS FOR THE HELP. Im getting a xl2, Ive done my homework, and thats the camera for me. But for when i start shooting I need some extra batteries. What kid of battery will work for the canon xl2.

Instead of me doing it for you, why don't you do a Google/Yahoo search under "batteries for Canon XL2"? Or look in the Owners Manual under the accessories list.

As per your question of the GL2, while it is a good consumer grade camera, it has smaller CCDs than the XL series (lower grade image, longer depth of field) and fewer pro options (XLR is by expansion, not built in). You can still do some wonderful stuff with GL2, but the XL series makes things easier. Especially if you want that film look, you'll want that 24p option and the shrunk depth of field.

For David: In 24p, does that mean it stores the video at 24p for real? Or does it appy a 3:2 pulldown?

Since these are standard def cameras, and there are no tape formats in standard def that support 24P, nor could you directly play it on an NTSC monitor without a converter (DVD's can store 480/24P and the players can convert it to 60i), all 24P Mini-DV cameras convert the capture to 60i using a pulldown.

There are two types of pulldown offered, standard and "advanced" -- advanced is actually a more simple pulldown scheme than 3:2, which allows it to be more easily removed when importing the footage into some editing software (like FCP) so you can immediate start working with true 24P. You should always remove Advanced pulldown because it's only meant to be used if you plan on removing it, otherwise it is more visible than 3:2 pulldown when watching playback. If after editing in 480/24P you need a 60i master for making NTSC tapes, then you'd add back a normal 3:2 pulldown.

Network Sponsors

Back