How to Start: "Dialogue"

I

ijp_writer

taking a writing break and want to start some "dialogue" with this group.

when you start to literally get your "dialogue" on paper, literally typing it up, what is your process?

dialogue style...

dialogue style...

In no particular order of importance...

I never worry about writing "business" or physical beats; movement around the room, actions, etc... unless it is paramount (like a punch or a kiss for example) so I don't interrupt the creative flow -- when the characters want to talk don't let anything stop them -- I just write and write and write until they're done talking then come back and block the thing out afterwards.

I always write past the end of the scene to see if they're going to say something that surprises me -- I often find out what they're really angry about five exchanges past the end of the scene -- then I come back and redo it with the subtext it needs based on the new information.

I always start the scene with a good idea of what the characters are feeling and what kind of expressions and body language they're exhibiting -- then sit quietly and patiently for them to say something inside my minds eye. Then it's all transcription. Let the scene play out and NOT resolve itself more often then not. Then come back and see if what they did say should be subtext or not. I try to keep my dialogue "off the nose" and try to keep an air of confrontation in most of it.

I try to intersperse long sides with shorter bits so it doesn't come off as "speechy". Less is usually more. You're better off (in my opinion) with less dialogue and more scenes than the other way around.

Not a treatise on the subject but just a few things that came to mind...

Cheers

Writing

Writing

This is how I do it.

a) Have the story planned out. Saves heaps of time. Before I start writing, I know what each scene is and what should happen in it. I know what is supposed to happen beginning to end so that I know how it all fits together. I spend most of the time just planning it, plotting it, making it flow in note form.

b) When I actually write (especially dialogue), I don't try to be smart. That's the biggest block overcome right there. I just write, make sure the point of the scene is met. I try and keep each scene to two pages - if it naturally overextends then I accept it, but I will probably cut it later.

c) When the first draft is done I put it aside and come back to it after afew weeks. I do this repeatedly and when I come back to it after a time and don't need to change it, I know it's done.

It's surprising how easy it is. Part of the problem most people have is THINKING it is hard. It is not hard. The hardest part is not writing, it is selling.

Now something needs to be said - if you watch any Hollywood story (your market) then they all follow a pattern. The above will work if you don't follow the pattern but it won't sell (usually the pattern helps to make it a better story anyway). So understand the pattern. This helps a).

In summary, alot of work needs to be done to understand what you are doing BEFORE you actually do it. I can't tell you how much time this saves.

I think that's pretty cool. It's what works for you. What i do is forget about backstory and subtext altogether and write like how i or other people talk. If your structure is strong, the appropriate subtext and backstory will be revealed naturally. Dialogue is one of those things that you don't try, you DO.

best,
Chi

Network Sponsors

Back