How do you balance authenticity and storytelling in documentary filmmaking?

Maura N.

The Last Black Unicorn
As documentary filmmakers, one of the biggest challenges we face is balancing the need for authenticity with the desire to tell a compelling story. How do we remain true to the subject matter while also engaging our audiences?

That’s why I wanted to start a discussion about how we balance authenticity and storytelling in our documentary filmmaking. What strategies have you used to maintain authenticity while still telling a compelling story? Have you ever had to make tough decisions about what to include or leave out of your film in order to create a more engaging narrative?

For me, one strategy that has worked well is to spend a lot of time with my subjects before ever turning on the camera. By building trust and rapport with my subjects, I am better able to capture authentic moments on film. Additionally, I try to remain open to unexpected developments during filming and allow the story to unfold organically, rather than forcing it into a preconceived narrative structure.

What about you? How do you balance authenticity and storytelling in your documentary filmmaking? Let’s share our experiences and strategies with the group and learn from each other.

Network Sponsors

Back