How do you determine light balance?

Kim Welch

Staff member
If I am shooting in a room and i want to use the lamps that are in it and natural light from a window how do I know if I need to use filters or not for the film stock. If it is balanced for tungston how do I determine that I have 3200 degrees and not 5500 degrees K? Does anything like this also apply to HD cameras? When I here 5500 degrees K what should I think in terms of getting the best shot and how do I measure this? Is this what the light meter is all about? Can you break it down a little into steps. Like, step one you turn the lights on in the room ... and then what if I want some really black dark corners but I want the shadows in them. I guess I am getting all over the place but to start with i want to get a grip on light and the color and intensity is the starting point, right? so how do i measure these and how do I know how much I need for camera and film stock?

Well, most cinematographers can see the difference between 5500K and 3200K, if not the average person, even if they can't articulate it. Besides, if it is daylight coming from a window, it's not going to be close to 3200K unless it is an orangey sunset light.

So it's just second nature to know what a tungsten lamp looks like on film in a room with daylight. Now if you can't correct the difference, you might consider balancing halfway between the two and getting a half-orange look from the tungsten practicals and a half-blue look from the windows.

With HD, the cameras have internal filter wheels for different balances, but you can also see the effect of these on a color monitor.

Where it gets harder to figure out is when dealing with partial-spectrum sources like some flos or discharge lamps. You may need a color meter to know for sure; otherwise, you take a guess based on experience or testing.

Nowadays a digital still camera can also be used to show you some of these color differences.

Network Sponsors

Back