Help with using minidisk recorders to record sound...

marklight

I want to use a minidisk recorder to capture sound from a mic. Does it really matter what type of minidisk recorder I get as long as it has a mic input? Does a better minidisk recorder translate into better sound? Should I put my money into a good mic rather than put it into a good minidisk recorder? Does anyone have any suggestions for good minidisk recorders to use to capture sound? Thanks

Well, a good mike with a decent minidisk recorder will almost certainly give you better sound than a cheap mike with an expensive minidisk recorder. I don't know about specifics as the only one we've used was a fancy recorder with XLR inputs... however, the compression should be the same, it's just the mike inputs and analog to digital conversion that will differ.

Also, I believe some minidisk recorders will start recording at the beginning of the disk each time unless you press a button before you record each track: those are probably best avoided as you're inevitably going to end up recording over sound from earlier takes by accident.

Network Sponsors

Back