Green screen on DV

MarkG

Anyone had any success with green screen on DV? I've been thinking about making a short that would be entirely shot green-screen with virtual sets just as an experiment, but my test shots at the weekend weren't very successful due to the poor color resolution of DV: the boundaries were really jagged and nasty.

I know I could shoot on a more professional format like Digibeta with better color resolution, but I have no way of getting that footage in and out of my PC to edit.

I've actually had great success with green screens and DV...

This is basically all about lighting.
You have to coat the green screen with an even ration of light from corner to corner... this is where a light meter comes in really really handy...
and you want to be bright, too dim and you'll just get jagged edges... wether it's DV or DigiBeta.

Then of course, you have to light your talent separately... which can be tricky... because if they're too close to the screen, you just might get some green bleeding onto them... due to light bouncing off the screen.

Anyways... good luck with the screen.

Isn't the new movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" shot entirely in a blue/green screen environment :?:

Probably not on DV though :).

Yes, I noticed my lighting of the green screen was a bit crap, so that it was significantly darker on one side than the other. I'll have another go and see if lighting it better improves the results.

I have shot both a commercial and a music video, both using extensive green screen on a DV camera. Though it is true that some of your problem may depend on the resolution of the camera, I found that the resolution of the camera is far less important that the quality of the lighting and your ability at compositing green screen shots.

Green screen causes more "spill" on the hair and shoulders than the blue screen does. You must design the lighting very carefully and keep your subject as far away from the green backdrop as possible to avoid spill.

I do not know what program you are using to try to composite your shots, but making a good looking composite can take hours of work, and may need bluring and feathering, and may take a lot of tinkering with the exact shade of green that you want to get rid of before it really looks right. The program that I am familiar with is Combustion, though I am sure there are many out there. A bad compositor can make your good footage look bad, and a great compositor can make your bad footage turn out good.

Corey

This is my two cents : don't in anycase overexpose the green background, keep it beetween -1/2 stop and keylight. If you want to lower the "spill" in the hair, you can backlight with some minus green gel on the sources. Don't put the actors to close to the green screen is an advice of very great value. The difficulty is not only to have a technically good material that makes the composite work, but to have the foreground lighting match what is going to be put in the background in post. If you do the lighting or someone with not much experience does, examine the backround carefully : light direction, contrast, color, soft or specific... if you have some set material to put in the very foreground that matches the backround (a tree branch + shadow on the actor for matching some forest shot, for instance...) it helps too...

do not know what program you are using to try to composite your shots

I tried Premiere, Avid and Digital Fusion (I think), but couldn't eliminate the ragged edges in any of them. Oddly, I got the best results from Premiere, even though it only has about three sliders for choosing the color, while the other two have more sliders than the average nuclear power station. Been thinking of buying Combustion as I've heard some good things about it and it's not horribly expensive.

Blue Scrrening with Adobe Premiere Pro

Blue Scrrening with Adobe Premiere Pro

I’m a senior at high school; I’ve been doing a lot of blue screening in my high school studio with adobe premiere pro. The way to do it for perfect results is to follow the directions with the lighting that’s a few posts above me and keep some distance from the blue screen then when your editing use the RGB Difference key and set the tolerance at about 8 then select the background color with the eye drop tool, mess with the tolerance a bit but do not let it bleed into the outline if what or who you want to blue screen, now if the background is still leaking through in certain spots just continue adding the RGB Difference keys and use the eye dropper tools to select the different shades of blue that may be bleeding through some. Repeat this and keep the tolerances low so you’re not bleeding into the outline of what your blue screening and you should have next to perfect results. It does take kind of a lot of time to get and takes a while to render but it’s been working great for me.

Howdy!

I use green/blue screen quite a bit, as I think its a lot of fun to do, and Im very inetested in Sky Captin/Sin City esque movies, heres what I do (Ive only used blue screen though... but Id imagine its the same) as everyone said, light that sucker well, unless you want a lot of post preduction pain, it has to be one solid color against the whole thing, which isnt that hard to do, at my school studio I used some lights on the ceiling and got a great effect, and as for actually takeing the blue out, Ive used Final Cut Pro, and Adobe Premiere and that was way more trouble then its worth. But, as of late (since my computer at home isnt exactly an editing machine) Ive found Sony's Vegas 5.0 to do blue screens in 3 minutes max. seriously. just apply the chroma key filter and mess with blur in the effect options a smidge, and you have a beatiful key. and it was done with a little DV camera, so DV is definitly more then capable of it.

hey all,

I gushed in another post about Serious Magic's keying software to the extend that I sounded like an advertisement for them...It's keying algorithms can tackle the most unevenly lit greenscreen backgrounds..the trial version is the only thing I tried..I'll probably buy one as my film moves into post production...

btw, the best small budget all-greenscreen production I've seen lately by far is the short film Prey Alone..google it...it'll blow you away...Sky Captain's obviously the big budget version of that, but I loved what Prey Alone did....

lates.

mc

Ya Sky Captain was shot on HD, it's interesting because it's a guys first movie and gnerally an independent film.

I can't believe no one has mentioned adobe after effects 6.5 pro for compositing, It has a matte choker to get rid of the jagged, some tools to fix poorly lit footage and all sorts of other good stuff.

Lighting Key To Great Keying on Green Screen With FCP4-HD

Lighting Key To Great Keying on Green Screen With FCP4-HD

Q: Anyone had any success with green screen on DV?

A: YES! But it's less about the DV format and the Green or any color screen, and more about two different levels of proper keying light placement.

Thus Welcome to:
Dream Master's Video University

The key to great success with using the KEY function of any NLE filter is to shoot the subject in a NLE friendly lighting environment. The first step to this is a flat green surface. Why Green? Well the color really doesn't matter to much to NLE’s, depending on the effects your trying to achieve, however for this illustration, we'll use a green color selection.

Step 1 - Preparing the screen:
Color Application, your Green Wall or Green Screen, whatever you want to call it, and whatever setup you have; paint, fabric, portable, you will want to have at least 12' across to perform a full body shot less for specific items, you may want to get a solid table top turn table for your subjects also painted green, so you can add that "3d-spin" effect to your projects your height of the green wall should be at least 10’ tall, don’t worry if your camera ends up over-shooting the wall, as long as your subject is within the green, you can crop out anything else in any NLE (Non Linear Editor). Then to achieve that full body positioned anywhere on the screen look, you will need to extend the green on the floor out towards the camera about 10’.

Step 2 – Lighting the wall:
Once you have a properly placed green wall, to achieve the best key possible with NLE's, you will want to begin the lighting process. First step is to light the green wall, to achieve this, you can use a number of different approaches. What I found to be of greatest success is as follows: Across the top of the screen suspended about one foot above and out from the green wall, I installed a Track for Track Lighting, I had available some Track Tube Fluorescents Two feet wide, four beams per fixture, (used for commercial retail product highlight lighting, I'll update soon with photos link) across the width of the screen aimed down just over the top of the screen, then further back, I placed a 750W Halogen - Toto suspended from the ceiling 6’ back to flood the rest of the screen. Along the plane of the Halo I placed another track and put a few more fluorescents Tracks a little further back to finish the fill.

Why the different types of light and does it really mater? Well for me it was what was readily available, and what was invested in. While the type of light does matter, when lighting your subjects, as long as your wall is evenly lit you can use just about any type of light to accomplish this. Remember this is the color you will be erasing later on inside your NLE... Don't spend allot of time here just get a even fill on the screen that doesn't spill past the ends of your green boundaries and you'll be fine.

Step 3 - Lighting the subject matter:
When I made my green wall, I used the corner of a room, extended 12' in both horizontal directions, 12' up the wall vertical, and out to the meeting point on the plane of the floor (photos available soon). Then I placed a "back light", a 500w porta light with barn doors extending from the ceiling just behind my Halogen, I Closed in the doors to a tight square, aimed and framed off the light, pointing down to the bottom of the end of the green on the floor, then opened the barn doors vertical all the way wide, and horizontal about 1/3 of the width back towards the walls.

Hint: You can place colored gels over the barn doors to give you some special effects for your subject.

Next is to bring in the Key Lights, I also used 500w Porta lights for this, and I placed two of them extended out about 10' from the end of the green on the floor, extended from the ceiling (you could use portable tripods if you needed to), I cross lit the subject. Meaning I had the two lights crossing one another at the point of the front of the subject, I placed the lights 10' each from center left and right, opened the barn doors careful not to extend the light more than needed, so that you keep as even as a spill on the wall as possible. You can use gels here also if you so desire.

Step 4 - Subject and Camera Placement:
Place your subject no closer than 7' from the wall, in my working example, I place my subjects 10' away, within a 2’ X 2’ square, at the front center of the floors green boundaries, if your not extending to the floor with your green, then keep them at least 7' from the wall, 10' is ideal. Any closer in and you will begin to get green spill on the subject from below, and it near impossible to remove green spill on your subjects. Green Spill=BAD 4 NLE's. You can place your DV camera (I use the Sony PD-170) on whichever Axis-Plain you need to in order to achieve the angle of the shot you want to accomplish, but as a good rule of thumb, you should try and keep at least 5' from the subject, in order to get a really good field of depth. Of course, you could shoot inches away and obtain great results as well, Just be sure not to cast a shadow on your subject with you or your gear.

Step 5 – Capture and Editing with NLE’s:
Once your capture your footage use your favorite editor, I use Final Cut Pro HD, add the chroma key filter and color matte filter to erase your green wall and then use the scalar/center under the motion tab in FCPHD to place your subject wherever you want to in the frame.

:D Voila, Great Green Screen Keying Effects on DV and NLE's.... 8)

Website with photo's of setup described coming soon...

John 3:16 :)

Thanks! In the past year I've moved on to wondering about green-screen on HDV, but I'd presume the same applies there :).

Network Sponsors

Back